Wideband Question

Information and discussion of EFI hardware and specifications
hoopstar
cars: 350 Chev HR Holden (carby)
VK Calais with (soon) VR EFI 304

Wideband Question

Post by hoopstar »

Quick question: Are there any issues with leaving a wideband sensor (with something like a Spartan2) connected full time to your engine?

Car is a daily driver VR V8 Auto.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Re: Wideband Question

Post by antus »

It does put wear and tear on the sensor, but most the wideband kit sensors now are sourced from cars where they are used from factory in a full time configuration anyway so it can be done. I have done this on my and my mates project cars.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
hoopstar

Post by hoopstar »

Cheers for the quick reply..!! :thumbup:
HQ355
cars: HQ Holden

Post by HQ355 »

I have mine in full time they say there good for 100k so in the scheme of things there not expensive to replace
hoopstar

Post by hoopstar »

Wow, 100k - that's a lot longer than I was expecting and given the cost of buying a new one (~$100), it's not even really even an issue.

To make sure I've got this right, the simulated narrowband output is connected to the PCM and just acts as if the stock O2 sensor was still in there.

Just a couple more questions:

- Can connect the wideband output to a gauge at the same time..??
- Can the wideband output be connected to the PCM and be logged with Tunerpro RT..??

Cheers in advance for answering these basic questions.
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

hoopstar wrote:Wow, 100k - that's a lot longer than I was expecting and given the cost of buying a new one (~$100), it's not even really even an issue.

To make sure I've got this right, the simulated narrowband output is connected to the PCM and just acts as if the stock O2 sensor was still in there.Yes

Just a couple more questions:

- Can connect the wideband output to a gauge at the same time..?? Probably not as a gauge might sink the current and offset the readings, spartan have one with gauge and separate output
- Can the wideband output be connected to the PCM and be logged with Tunerpro RT..?? Yes

Cheers in advance for answering these basic questions.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Yeah spartan are not designed to run a gauge also, just basics.

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/defin ... artan#nav1
"Showing or characterized by austerity or a lack of comfort or luxury:"

Origin
Mid 17th century: from Spartan, because the inhabitants of Sparta were traditionally held to be indifferent to comfort or luxury.

Also, simulated narrow band - while it should work in theory - often gives less than ideal results. I would recommend to retain a standard narrowband sensor and to use that. If you do use the simulated narrowband function do watch your narrowband logs closely initially to verify the results are believable. Otherwise you will cause more problems.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396