Coil Pack Testing

Information and discussion of EFI hardware and specifications
pman92
cars: HZ One Tonner
VE Ute

Re: L67 vs N/A Coil Packs

Post by pman92 »

vlad01 wrote:even if you do one it will still be the full output as its a its really one coil with floating outputs to operate in bi-polar mode. There is no ground for the 2ndary. The way it works on the engine is the current flows into one plug, through the block into the other plug and then back to the coil.
Yeah true that makes sense also.
Another interesting piece of pointless information. That's why if you take out spark plugs that are really old and knackered you can clearly see one bank has eroded the electrode, and the other bank has eroded the earth strap. Because the sparks are opposite polarity (one jumps electrode to earth strap, the other earth strap to electrode). I think for memory the material always erodes of the negative side. True current flow is from negative to positive and as the electrons leave the negative surface they take material with them and may even deposit it on the positive side.

As for testing coils. You may not be able to measure the voltage but you could simply compare how much gap each one will jump. A bit rough and doesn't give an exact figure but you could estimate/calculate peak voltage from the gap distance.
VR-VY Holden BCM Simulator: View Post
MrModule.com.au
pman92
VE Ute

Post by pman92 »

Also maybe the difference isn't the peak voltage capability, but it's in the primary side. Maybe they have a lower primary resistance and so saturate/charge up quicker and require less dwell to create the same output?
MrModule.com.au
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Yes electrons from from neg to pos and they give enough energy to the surface atoms to ionized them and kick them off the surface. Same way sputtering works in a vacuum chamber to metalize surfaces.

Here is another useless fact, electrons flow in a metal conductor at the speed of about 80mm/h, yes that slow!
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
The1

Post by The1 »

Thanks all. ill look at making something up, the glass tube is a good idea, can visualize it then as well.

I had a play with nothing attached which looks to prove enough, the gap between the posts seems to knock out the dodgy coil which couldn't jump the gap at any dwell but a good coil would, the L67 coils weren't as good as the yellow ones, even a grey one handled lower dwell time than the 3 blue ones but other grey ones were worse, defiantly looks worthwhile to do some testing especially with used coils, seems to be mixed field of results. I have bought a new delphi coil, will be interesting to see how that one goes. I can't measure that high it's beyond 12,000v :wtf:
Charlescrown
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Post by Charlescrown »

Hey vlad yes they do because they are going in all directions but the speed of movement in all directions is at the speed of light.
Also the voltage needed to jump between the posts is around 80kv. Man it hurts.
slewinson
cars: Barina SB C14SE
Lexus RX350
VW Golf Mk5 TDI DSG

Post by slewinson »

The1 wrote:Thanks all. ill look at making something up, the glass tube is a good idea, can visualize it then as well.

I had a play with nothing attached which looks to prove enough, the gap between the posts seems to knock out the dodgy coil which couldn't jump the gap at any dwell but a good coil would, the L67 coils weren't as good as the yellow ones, even a grey one handled lower dwell time than the 3 blue ones but other grey ones were worse, defiantly looks worthwhile to do some testing especially with used coils, seems to be mixed field of results. I have bought a new delphi coil, will be interesting to see how that one goes. I can't measure that high it's beyond 12,000v :wtf:
Glass tube is not ideal unless it is pyrex and has continuous airflow to remove ionized air. Normal glass can have traces of metals on the surface.

Simon
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Charlescrown wrote:Hey vlad yes they do because they are going in all directions but the speed of movement in all directions is at the speed of light.
Also the voltage needed to jump between the posts is around 80kv. Man it hurts.
No they don't move at anywhere near the speed of light as they have resting mass therefore they experience time and have finite speed which is dependent on how much energy is put into them unlike a massless particle such as the photon.

Although they do move in a analogous sort of sense in their probability cloud a good fraction of c but its more common to treat this scenario as a wave function rather than a particle moving around as due to the Heisenberg uncertainty principal their momentum and location can not be measured at the same time. To move any speed independent of the atoms its extremely slow in a solid unless they are accelerated in a vacuum and to get close to c they need huge amounts of energy like seen in syncrotrons and particle accelerators.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
The1

Post by The1 »

lol def does hurt.

Someone pointed me to this so have ordered one if in the meantime i dont make something up.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/272478410025 ... EBIDX%3AIT

So with a bit of fiddling yesterday factory coils give a nice white/blue spark and a aftermarket coil i have gives a orangey colour spark, this is at any dwell, the aftermarket coil is new and gives a spark across the posts even down to a much lower dwell than the factory coils can handle, but is the spark colour relative to the voltage or current?
pman92
VE Ute

Post by pman92 »

Spark color would be relative to current.
Voltage would be dependant on the resistance in the secondary circuit (resistance of lead and plug plus spark plug gap and density/mixture of charge in spark plug gap, or on the bench mainly just how big of a gap you are making it jump)
MrModule.com.au
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

yes its current that makes the colour change in this case.

dark purple is very low current, more orangey outer with purple inner is a bit higher current, bright white/blue is high current

Frequency also has an effect, air pressure, gas composition etc... number of factors but main one here would be current.