Coil Pack Testing

Information and discussion of EFI hardware and specifications
delcowizzid

Re: Coil Pack Testing

Post by delcowizzid »

Got some detonation on it buy the little balls stuck on it
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
The1

Post by The1 »

yet i hear nothing with knock ears or festys knock box.. So im not sure. Though the plug was pulled after a highway run so lean cruise was active for a good 30mins
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

3 of mine on passenger side always come out with melted piston on them lol and since I've gutted my cat I can hear it rattling out the front pipe into to cat the whole left bank
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
madmaxisback
cars: VN Calais
VK Berlina

Post by madmaxisback »

Hey guys, I have read this whole thread today and am looking at doing a bit of maintenance next month on my 2003 VY wagon with 230kms on it. Doing LIM gaskets and want to do the coils too as I have a slight miss at idle and in mid to higher rev range sometimes.

Questions:
Are these Gorst coil packs still the ones to get?
Can I get them anywhere in AU?
Is there a need to replace the DFI base plate at same time? If so, anyone got a link or is it a wrecker visit?

Thanks everyone for all your great information here once again :thumbup: Champions!
The1

Post by The1 »

i havn't found anything else with better spark, If you want AU you can buy genuine Delphi coils which is arn't far behind. Keep Normal DFI board yes.
The1

Post by The1 »

delcowizzid wrote:3 of mine on passenger side always come out with melted piston on them lol and since I've gutted my cat I can hear it rattling out the front pipe into to cat the whole left bank
I did have a tank of Puma fuel in there not long ago, they run octane booster im sure it made all the plugs coloured, perhaps some of that got melted to the plugs to, i have prob run 1 tank of BP through since and theyve come back up non coloured.
madmaxisback
VK Berlina

Post by madmaxisback »

Guys might find this interesting:
https://youtu.be/6q5oq4TwX98
The1

Post by The1 »

i like his little pressure chamber, it would give good results for boosted testing for sure and if a coil is upto the task or not.

My testing isn't as good as his, mine is just a simple the larger the gap it can jump the more voltage it would need at a reasonable 3ms Dwell Time 14volts, So no real world application other than this coil is better or worse than the other coil.
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

We are nearly at the point of needing coils starting to get a bit of missfiring at high cylinder pressure dyno guy said they have nothing but issues with twin post coils once cylinder pressure gets up there .
madmaxisback
VK Berlina

Post by madmaxisback »

Cool hey! Thought you might like that The1.

Delco, need to make up something like this for your beasts

https://www.powerhouseracing.com/produc ... a-coil-kit

VL400s LS1 type setup maybe be ok?