Information and discussion of EFI hardware and specifications
OZ38
cars: VY V6 Commodore ute.
VS V6 Commo sedan.
VT V6 powered 4x4 Hilux ute.

Re: L67 vs N/A Coil Packs

Post by OZ38 »

The1 wrote:Nar the yellow bottom factory ones
I have seen a lot of these to actually start out as a white bottom, your one look to be discoloured from the white maybe ?

Seen White, Grey, Black & Blue so far.
The1

Post by The1 »

i def havn't seen a white one, these are grey for sure, i have grey, yellow, blue
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

I've only seen the grey and yellow ones. Yet to see my blue ones when they ship. still on back order.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

I tested yellow vs grey ones with max free air break down distance. No difference.

Interestingly I got insight into the faults of 2 coils known to play up in car but showed no problems when tested on the car.

One on the old vacationer showed a smaller spark than normal by 25% and also wanted to ground one of the posts to the body of the coil, showing that it had an internal 2ndary leak to the iron core.

Another coil from my mates VY worked fine output wise but emitted corona from the body and also both outputs could ground via a path to the primary where all other coils tested could not ground via the primary as they shouldn't being isolated. Shorty after driving that one hard it just died suddenly lol. It still was running the primary as you can hear it but 0 output. Complete internal short lol.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

I had an aftermarket coil fail, full short between the primary and secondary. Took out the dfi module output for that coil. These engines don't run very well on only 4 cylinders :(

The AA guy who came to look at it had no idea...
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Or how about 2 coils firing at one, so 4 cylinders firing at once lol. Crank/rod bending kick backs ftw!

Happen on my nephews car, dodgy harmonic balancer ate the CAS
The1

Post by The1 »

Yeh Vlad beat me to it, not expecting any difference from blues either, I cracked open a faulty dfi for a look
Attachments
IMG_20170204_114453.jpg
IMG_20170204_114443.jpg
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

On my old VN the DFI module failed, it cooked. It was the early style DFI module and it got hot enough that the grey crap they used to seal it all up was leaking out.

I also had the balancer eat the CAS sensor, it did something similar to what Vlad mentioned but I turned it off before any major damage was done. new CAS on it and away it went to be abused for many more years. When the old CAS came off you could see the exposed bits inside the CAS.
The1

Post by The1 »

Yeh wouldn't be to much inside a CAS it's just magnets

When I had my dfi off last time I cleaned the plate as it's a heatsink, I also fine sanded the surface back then used heatsink paste on the area you can see where the heat would come from in the middle there, I also put plastic washers between the heatsink and engine block to help stop heat transfer.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

yeah this said car had a dodgy balancer, the diameters of the choppers were out of spec so no adjusting of the CAS would prevent it getting eaten out. Inner chopper was too big and the outer was too small so the gap in the middle was too tight contacting both side of the middle prong on the CAS.