Camira Ignition Module in a VN EFI 304

Information and discussion of EFI hardware and specifications
vn_ss_cm
cars: VN SS

Camira Ignition Module in a VN EFI 304

Post by vn_ss_cm »

Hello Guys

What would i need to use to get a Camira ignition module working with the VN 304 using standard ecu(tuned) Reason for it is why not dont mind tinkering and get rid of that shitty box that always fails...

so far ive found out....

Electronic Reluctor dizzy from a blue 308 - EBAY?
DIZZY CAP and rotor - standard VN?
JD camira ignition module - EBAY ?
Module plugs - where to purchase these?
ecu reference change

how to wire it up?

CAMIRA VN v8

EST OUTPUT d4 EST OUTPUT D10
DIST REF INPUT B5 DIS REF INPUT D12
HEI BYPASS CONTROL D5 BYPASS CONTROL d9
DIST EARTH B3 DIST REF LOW D11
Dylan
cars: VR Commodore V8

Re: Camira Ignition Module in a VN EFI 304

Post by Dylan »

Just fit up a complete blue motor dissy and lock the advance.
Or maybe fit abMSD dissy pretty basic internals.

Then adapt the different modules wiring. It's been done before.
Might want to double check the reference angle in the tune too not sure if they needed to change given the different module.
HQ355
cars: HQ Holden

Post by HQ355 »

I think you can also run the hei coil when you go down this road from memory, that's another bonus
VK_3800
cars: SS Torana

Post by VK_3800 »

Reference angle needs to be 10 degrees. In addition to the earlier factory distributor most aftermarket reluctor (magnetic) pickup distributors will work with this setup so plenty of options, many have lockout and other useful adjustments. If you're buying one the cheaper "ready to run" versions are generally perfect once you remove the internal module and connect straight to the pickup. Check the rotor phasing when you lock it up and make sure it works for the range of advance in the tune, I fitted a wider tip to mine.
https://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewt ... 528#p61918

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I believe its JE Camira not JD. See part numbers in link below anyway, last I checked you can still buy the modules new.

Take a look at Holden202T's 202 conversion for more details, not really any difference between six and V8 for the ignition setup:
https://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewt ... p?f=15&t=4
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Yeah JE had the delco, but the module is very common may also be on the bosch based JD.

Part is Bosch BIM 148, uses GM style metripack connectors. They are very common. 2 pins for the reluctor on the top (not metripack this one, is polarity sesitive) 2 pins for power and 4 for the delco.

The reluctor is polarity sensitive because the module looks for the voltage swing in the correct direction. If you get it backwards it'll trigger but not on the correct part of the wave so it'll run badly if at all. If this is the result when you first try it swap P and N and try again. If its better you have it right, if its worse revert and look elsewhere.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
antus
Site Admin
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute

Post by antus »

Pinouts
Attachments
delco_ignition.png
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
MAGP
cars: VC V8 sedan, VS V6 wagon, VT V8 Landcruiser.

Post by MAGP »

All unleaded Camiras had the Delco.
JD Camira (leaded engine) had the old bosch setup, JD Camira (unleaded) had the Delco and so did the JE.
The leaded JD was TPI, the unleaded JD was TBI, and the JE was TPI.
The Camira nearly never got to the JE because the switch to unleaded made a poorly designed and built car even worse.
VK_3800
cars: SS Torana

Post by VK_3800 »

antus wrote:The reluctor is polarity sensitive because the module looks for the voltage swing in the correct direction. If you get it backwards it'll trigger but not on the correct part of the wave so it'll run badly if at all.
Actually with a powerful ignition system it'll happily fire an arc across to the post - but you'll make a mess of the cap and rotor in short order and run the risk of it cross-firing to the wrong post. Check the rotor phasing.
antus
Site Admin
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute

Post by antus »

@MAGP Thats a very small snippet of the crazy story that was the Camira. I think they turned out reasonable in the end, but that was too late. But i wont hijack this thread. Anyone interested in that saga, have a read of this: http://www.drive.com.au/used-car-review ... 13nhl.html

@ VK_3800 The timing is more of an issue than lack of spark. This could be backwards, but you get a slope to +, then a sudden swing to - then a gentle slope to plus. The trigger happens on the fast swing to -, which is so sharp the trigger is pretty accurate. If you have it hooked backwards then the trigger with happen on the more gentle part of the slope which will not deliver a 10 degrees reference, and be more susceptible to transient voltages etc. How many degrees Im not sure, but ive seen and heard the difference at idle. Its dramatic and an easy fix.
charlay86
cars: VT S1 SS (L67)

Post by charlay86 »

reluctor.png
This is what happens when the polarity is wrong.
Typically you find things get worse as engine speed increases...