tech 2 restarts when engine started

Information and discussion of EFI hardware and specifications
Antwon
cars: vx ss. 80 series daily, vk ls1 (project)

tech 2 restarts when engine started

Post by Antwon »

anyone else using the clone tech2 and over it restarting when you start the engine cause I sure am :comp: I stumbled across some info on upgrading the voltage reg on a saab forum but was wondering if anyone else has been able to mod theres to fix the reboot or done the voltage reg upgrade like the saab guys have done ??

ive added the link to the saab forum about the upgrade please delete or let me know to delete it if going against forum rules.
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/archi ... 67490.html

cheers
The1

Re: tech 2 restarts when engine started

Post by The1 »

mine doesn't but im not using siggy lighter for power it has it on the aldl plug on the commodores which is constant power.
Antwon

Post by Antwon »

The1 wrote:mine doesn't but im not using siggy lighter for power it has it on the aldl plug on the commodores which is constant power.
yer I'm not using the cig lighter etha but I'm using the obd2 port I did read that some gm cars don't have the issue of it dropping out from what ive been able to test it that the voltage reg cuts out once it reaches around 9-10v in the clones that have this issue and the genuine tech2's seem to be able to handle drop to 7v
The1

Post by The1 »

makes sense, it has happened to me but not regular, just expected it of chinese tech2. Sometimes ill get a random lockup and error code on the screen and have to reboot it, but generally have no issues with mine.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

It should be pretty easy but I dont have a tech2 to experiment with. It looks like that sub board is a regulator and should be able to swap it with a similar sized 5v reg board from ebay. Just need to locate vin and vout pins, confirm with multimeter and make the swap fit. The max232 is probably a little harder as its smaller, but still just a soldering excersize.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
hsv08
cars: (EX) VT SENATOR 355 STROKER
(EX) VT SS 304 MANUAL
NOW VX V6 HACK

Post by hsv08 »

I find some cars don't and some do.
A fully charged and solid battery tends not to cut mine out

But if I'm doing anything that requires starting the vehicle with scanner connected I'll normally stick the AC plugged in
Or run power lead and crimps to my own vehicle to stop the dip when on the starter
Antwon

Post by Antwon »

hsv08 wrote:I find some cars don't and some do.
A fully charged and solid battery tends not to cut mine out

But if I'm doing anything that requires starting the vehicle with scanner connected I'll normally stick the AC plugged in
Or run power lead and crimps to my own vehicle to stop the dip when on the starter
I understand using the power adapter works but going from a gen tech2 at my last work to a clone I use at home and current work it gets frustrating trying to use it to collect data for startup issues or doing a ckp error relearn on an ls engine id rather just find someone who has acttualy played around and fixed the issue to get a better idea on how the mod is done but for the time being ill just have to stick to using an ac adapter
Antwon

Post by Antwon »

The1 wrote:makes sense, it has happened to me but not regular, just expected it of chinese tech2. Sometimes ill get a random lockup and error code on the screen and have to reboot it, but generally have no issues with mine.
I to was getting the error code along the lines or processer holt or something like that till I got an updated card that has the tis approval built into it so you don't need to connect to tis2web to do keys and bcm programming since I got this card I havnt had the error since fingers crossed I don't againb
The1

Post by The1 »

i did my approval via TIS2000 to the official ACdelco latest update online, but mine still does it.
Antwon

Post by Antwon »

Interesting once I sort out my card I accidentally deleted I'll send a copy of it thru to you if u like to give it a go see how that goes it's a modified version of the Holden 147.000 to run on the clone units.