Pcm Hacking Nvram/aldl vs Moates Apu1

Information and discussion of EFI hardware and specifications
VSRaptor
cars: Vp Commodore V8
Vs Commodore ute V6

Pcm Hacking Nvram/aldl vs Moates Apu1

Post by VSRaptor »

Just wondering, is there any pro and cons between using pcm hacking nvram/aldl logger and the moates apu1 for vn to vs commodore V6 and V8?
Moates package is I guess a all in one unit burner, writer, logger and emulator.

Anyone had exposure to both or a moates?
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Re: Pcm Hacking Nvram/aldl vs Moates Apu1

Post by antus »

Ive heard of people having trouble logging through the moates. Never found out why. The nvram can do things like knock logging where the OS writes back to nvram, this is not possible on the moates as there is no provision for the ecm side to save changes to the emulated rom. If you can get the logging working (likely adx changes) the knock counts might not be a show stopper, but it will be harder to get help as the community around it is small to not present. I think you also need a G6 adaper for the pcms with the moates.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Dylan
cars: VR Commodore V8

Post by Dylan »

Antus mentioned the most important part briefly.

The support you get with pcm hacking hardware.
You won't get any better than what offered here.
Tazzi
cars: VE SS Ute

Post by Tazzi »

+1 on Dylans comment.
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726
VSRaptor
cars: Vp Commodore V8
Vs Commodore ute V6

Post by VSRaptor »

Dylan wrote:Antus mentioned the most important part briefly.

The support you get with pcm hacking hardware.
You won't get any better than what offered here.

Yeah I have read about that too, Moates is better suited for GM USA cars and different requirements etc
VX L67 Getrag

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

This is also what I have been trying to explain to you!
VK_3800
cars: SS Torana

Post by VK_3800 »

I have an Autoprom, its not a bad setup but today I would probably buy PCMHacking gear instead as its physically better integrated and allows wideband learning. I may do yet but I wouldn't get rid of the Autoprom because its a bit more universal.

The Autoprom is more portable if you're working on different vehicles, and you're not as restricted on the ECU/program. Although most are probably only working with their own stuff and 11P/12P or you could set up a spare ECU for it. The NVRAM and comms module in an '808 is physically simpler - I have three cables rather than one when everything is plugged in, and have to find somewhere to put the box. Switches for diagnostic mode and pass-through can be handy on different cars.

Cost was a bit more expensive and to use the Autoprom with 12P I had to find a VR manual ECU with ALDL, although you could also use a comms module to provide ALDL I believe (but then even more expensive and you're only an NVRAM module away from buying both setups). You do also need a couple of memcal adapters to round out the package - one for writing chips without removing from the memcal, and one for attaching chips or the emulator cable to the ECU. You can make the ALDL cables yourself for different cars as its just an RJ45 plug on the Autoprom.

I do have issues with it being finicky with Tunerpro when trying to log and real time tune at the same time. It works with ALDLDroid on Android though, and I mainly use that in the car these days, then upload/download log files and make more detailed changes on the desktop computer with Tunerpro. You don't need the separate Flashtool for uploading to the emulator or writing chips as everything is built in to Tunerpro (and ALDLDroid), and it only takes a few seconds to write an entire bin file to emulator or flash chip. Chip support is fairly limited though compared to a proper burner.