Introduction. 202 red conversion to ITB manifold questions.

Information and discussion of EFI hardware and specifications
Early 56 EFI
cars: 56 FJ Holden
86 Corvette
80 Caddy Limo
03 Dodge Ram Cummins
68 Galaxie 390
94 Mustang GT Conv

Introduction. 202 red conversion to ITB manifold questions.

Post by Early 56 EFI »

Hi all, I have been reading this great site for some time and I finally got around to registering. I am converting my old red 202 (actually an HP block stroked and fully counter weighted to 202 in the late 70's) to injection for something different to throw into my FJ. The 202 had triple weber's on it in the 70's with a clutch conversion trimatic behind it and then turbocharged in the 80's with a 727 torqueflight behind it in an LH. Been a great solid old bottom end.

It will now be built with a black 12 port head and a custom ITB manifold with 45mm butterflies (similar to the Sonic injection manifold.) with a manual trans behind it. Initially I will run an electronic dizzy with the Bosch module conversion but would like to go to wasted spark after the thing is all running and the tune sorted. I will have to run a vacuum manifold of some sort and a MAP sensor. I also want to set it up for live tuning.

I understand all the NVRam, ALDL, Memcals etc stuff but the different ECU's and speeds/functionallity etc have me a bit confused.

I started off thinking an 808 ECU but after months of reading on here, there is probably a better option as I am using an ITB setup. I would really appreciate if somebody could steer me onto the correct ECU path before I go out and start buying stuff then I can start making looms etc and get the thing going in the engine cradle.

Again, congrats on a great site with so many knowledgeable members and so much information.

Thanks
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Re: Introduction. 202 red conversion to ITB manifold questi

Post by vlad01 »

Hi and welcome.

With ITBs there is usually a poor/unreliable vacuum signal for the MAP sensor, but there is an alpha N mode that can be run on 12P on the 808, though I don't think anyone has yet used this mode as far as I know.

At least in theory it should work a lot better than trying to use a MAP sensor on ITBs. It works but using the TPS and RPM as the load vectors to determine the VE cell in the VE table. This mode already exists in the stock 808 as a fail safe if the MAP fails but basically forces it on without the need for a fault to happen. It is just a matter of dialing it in to suit the engine and it should work good. I have tried removing the MAP on one of my cars before and it still drives fine going into that mode so I know it works.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
Early 56 EFI
86 Corvette
80 Caddy Limo
03 Dodge Ram Cummins
68 Galaxie 390
94 Mustang GT Conv

Post by Early 56 EFI »

Thanks vlad01,

That's the track I was thinking of going down. From what you have suggested, am I correct in assuming I should use the 808 with 12P still considering I want to live tune etc. Are there other hardware/software combinations I could use as I have had a bit of trouble finding an 808. Does 11P support Alpha-N also.

I have a fair bit of experience with a 6lt SB2-2 Chev with Morisson injection and Motec running Alpha-N in a race boat so should be able to handle the tune side of it once I get the correct hardware setup.

I intend to buy the NVRam and whatever else I need from this site once I get my head around exactly what hardware I need.

The fun is about to start!!!!
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

theres plenty out there for reasonable price ....

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/402290868800

another thing to consider too if you need a loom and sensors, you might be able to buy a whole vn/vp for a few hundred dollars, get what you need from it then scrap it or if your really keen sell parts off it to recover some money.

maybe also post in the wanted section someone might have one available.

im keen to see some updates on the FJ, i personally have a FX :thumbup:
Early 56 EFI
86 Corvette
80 Caddy Limo
03 Dodge Ram Cummins
68 Galaxie 390
94 Mustang GT Conv

Post by Early 56 EFI »

Thanks 202T. I have had the FJ since 1974 but never been on the road. Many updates over the years. Recently got it out of the shed, now driveable with a stocky 173 and 3 speed all syncro on the floor to get it engineered and reg. L300 front end, LH rack, LJ column, Ford 8.5" rear. Had first engineer inspection, all good, just have to paint it now and have the trim done. Once reg is done the ITB injected, delco, stroker will slide in and then time to have some fun.

Off the topic.
How about your Beddy, the thread seemed to stop. Did you get it engineered and reg. Read the entire thread, great job. A while back I built a long wheelbase high Beddy for a mate. Ripped all the running gear out and sat the who thing on a 1997 suburban 1500 4wd running chassis which had to shorten about 6" Great machine. It has a Delco 16229684 BNHP ecu which I would like to get into to change a few things (one day). Would anybody on here know anything about these US Suburban Delco's
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Holden202T wrote:theres plenty out there for reasonable price ....

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/402290868800

another thing to consider too if you need a loom and sensors, you might be able to buy a whole vn/vp for a few hundred dollars, get what you need from it then scrap it or if your really keen sell parts off it to recover some money.

maybe also post in the wanted section someone might have one available.

im keen to see some updates on the FJ, i personally have a FX :thumbup:

bit of a catch 22 atm. Can't find looms, only seems to be v8 ones for sale at absurd prices and the cars are hard to get now, everyone wants top dollar.

I checked gumtree also and couldn't find a single v6 loom, there was about a dozen v8 ones though at $450+ :lol:
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
Early 56 EFI
86 Corvette
80 Caddy Limo
03 Dodge Ram Cummins
68 Galaxie 390
94 Mustang GT Conv

Post by Early 56 EFI »

Thanks Vlad for that. Can either you, 202T or VL400 just confirm that the 808 is the best way to go for my application. I guess as I will probably end up using Alpha-N it doesn't matter to much. I will more than likely gine a MAP sensor a go using something like the vacuum plenum that EFI have for sale.

Just want an acceptable speed on the live tuning. If 808 is the go I will bid on the Ebay one that 202T pointed out and then start purchasing the NVRam and USB cable etc. Can you give me a list of what I need to buy from this site to do the trick.

As for the loom, I can probably make that up as I have an old loom off the salt car that we run. Just need to look around for the connectors into the ECU.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

You can go either 424 or 808, both 11P and 12P can do what you want, just 11P is more of a pain having to disable all the auto stuff so it stops complaining about the auto missing.

It should be easier to find VR auto looms around than VN or VP ones. Went to pick a part and the other joint thats similar and there was 0 VN or VP and only one VR which had it's loom cut to bits. I was chasing a good VP one for myself but they are impossible to find now.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

Early 56 EFI wrote:Thanks 202T. I have had the FJ since 1974 but never been on the road. Many updates over the years. Recently got it out of the shed, now driveable with a stocky 173 and 3 speed all syncro on the floor to get it engineered and reg. L300 front end, LH rack, LJ column, Ford 8.5" rear. Had first engineer inspection, all good, just have to paint it now and have the trim done. Once reg is done the ITB injected, delco, stroker will slide in and then time to have some fun.

Off the topic.
How about your Beddy, the thread seemed to stop. Did you get it engineered and reg. Read the entire thread, great job. A while back I built a long wheelbase high Beddy for a mate. Ripped all the running gear out and sat the who thing on a 1997 suburban 1500 4wd running chassis which had to shorten about 6" Great machine. It has a Delco 16229684 BNHP ecu which I would like to get into to change a few things (one day). Would anybody on here know anything about these US Suburban Delco's
Yeah its still in the shed mate and i want to finish it one day..... the story goes, theres no point working on the tow car (bedford) till the race car (FX) is ready .... so i have been working on the FX more so, but i have had a very cute distraction the last year and a half!

This pic is actually in the FX, she loves getting in a driving :thumbup:
claire-fx.JPG
claire-fx.JPG (104.14 KiB) Viewed 8667 times
Early 56 EFI
86 Corvette
80 Caddy Limo
03 Dodge Ram Cummins
68 Galaxie 390
94 Mustang GT Conv

Post by Early 56 EFI »

Really cute pic. I have pics of my eldest daughter at about the same age in my "J" (around 1976) and now she id 44. We were replacing the sills back then. It's a worry that I still have the "J" and it's never been on the road.

I bought that 808 that you pointed out. Thanks. Now just need to get NVRam and USB comms Antus and at least the ECU will be ready even if the 202 isn't. I will be in outback NSW soon so will have a sniff around the wreckers at see if I can pick up a loom and some bits.

I will email you some more pics
Attachments
Back in the shed after being in storage for 23 years
Back in the shed after being in storage for 23 years