Installing USB comms 3.0 bought years back - 082 PCM

Information and discussion of EFI hardware and specifications
RedWagonVC
cars: VC Commodore Wagon 202 Delco
BMW 740iL E38

Installing USB comms 3.0 bought years back - 082 PCM

Post by RedWagonVC »

Hi guys!

I bought an NVRAM and USB comms kit from Antus years back and have been using the NVRAM in a friend's 808 with USB comms v1 (5wires).

I've had some sort of issue and cant connect to the ECU in tunerpro anymore. Suspect the NVRAM or 808 has failed, so decided to install the usb comms v3 into my ECU ive had waiting.

However i realised after cutting holes that
A. It's an 082 VS man PCM amd the board is different
And
B. The usb comms v3 has 4 wires, v1 5 wires and i can't find a diagram from back when i bought it.

Can usb comms be installed on the 082? And if so, how?

Cheers,
Dave
RedWagonVC
BMW 740iL E38

Re: Installing USB comms 3.0 bought years back - 082 PCM

Post by RedWagonVC »

I should add that the issue is, it ran rough when i last started it, then stalled. Now wont start and highspeed fan is on constantly. In the past this has happened with a corrupt burn/write hence suspecting the NVRAM
Any help greatly appreciated
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

For 082 you want to use the ALDL cable instead as the 082 already has high speed comms.

All you need to do is wire up a diagnostic port for the ALDL cable if using in VN or VP, otherwise VR and VS already have the port under the steering wheel.

As for the NVRAM, yeah sounds like its corrupted as the fan is stuck on when that happens.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

@RedWagonVC Yes you totally can install that comms board in that PCM. I'll send you the documentation. Its true that computer has ALDL built in, but its fine to keep using the comms board if you want. It has an ALDL input pin and keeps it all internal to provide you a USB interface just the same.

The issue with the car sounds like corrupt or erased NVRAM, and the computer is not running and only providing limp home fuel and constant 10 degrees spark from the module. You'll need to put the nvram chip in programmer to refresh it with a 12P v112 image as a starting point. If its an old unit, from 8-10+ it might have gone flat, in which case you will need to pysically replace the DS1245Y chip on the realtime board too.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
RedWagonVC
BMW 740iL E38

Post by RedWagonVC »

Thanks Antus - i think i bought the NVRAM in 2016 or thereabouts. Hopefully it isn't dead. I do have a gq-4x programmer might take a shot at erasing and re-writing.

VLAD01 it's in a VC, there is no ALDL/OBD etc in the loom as we made it to utilise the USB comms with the 808 ;)
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Yeah 2016 should still be going. It probably needs a rewrite with the closest stacked bin from the 12p zip.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

RedWagonVC wrote:Thanks Antus - i think i bought the NVRAM in 2016 or thereabouts. Hopefully it isn't dead. I do have a gq-4x programmer might take a shot at erasing and re-writing.

VLAD01 it's in a VC, there is no ALDL/OBD etc in the loom as we made it to utilise the USB comms with the 808 ;)

This is what I did on mine, was literally just 4 wire, min of 2 to make it work but I also wanted 12V and paperclip diag mode too.

Way easier than opening up the kick panel every time I find something I need to change in the tune and its also one cable and TP settings for all my cars.

I sold my USB comms 808 and went the 082, 305 and 808 with SXR board path so to use my ALDL cable for everything.

IMG_0340.JPG
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.