VT 5.0 Engine stops on hot days

Information and discussion of EFI hardware and specifications
PhilB
cars: Vr ute , Vt 5.0 Engine

VT 5.0 Engine stops on hot days

Post by PhilB »

Hi i,m a newbie here. I have checked for posts on this topic but found nothing.. I have a VT 5.0 engine in a VR ute. This issue only happens in summer on hot days. After driving for more than half an hour the engine just stops. No coughing etc. Leave it for 15 minutes it restarts and good for another 10 to 30 minutes drive. No codes are logged. I have connected led's to crank and cam sensors in dizzy so can monitor signals. It appears to have no spark. Other forums say it's the ignition module or dizzy. I replaced the transistors in the ign module as that is what the reco'ed ones appear to do. Fitted a new bosch coil , still the same. I also moved the ign module to another place where it is much cooler. Has anyone struck this problem and are the aftermarket distributors any good or cheap chinese rubbish. Cheers
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Re: VT 5.0 Engine stops on hot days

Post by antus »

Can you have a log running when it happens so you can see what the PCM is seeing (or not seeing?)

Out of curiosity, what transistor did you replace the one in the module with?
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
PhilB
cars: Vr ute , Vt 5.0 Engine

Post by PhilB »

https://www.jaycar.co.nz/medias/sys_mas ... etMain.pdf I saw this one is used on another forum. also BU941 is being used by companies that repair them. I could do a data log but the problem is so intermittant could be driving for hours and my laptop battery not that good
NoInfo
cars: AWD Astro Conversion Van 4.3v6

Post by NoInfo »

Let it fail first, then start logging when you restart, as you said that only takes 10-30min.
Mostly interested in 0411 pcm on 4.3v6 with eventual plans for forced induction.
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

And or a 12v adapter for the laptop.
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
kojab
cars: VT V6 supercharged in a corolla

Post by kojab »

The Ignition module components themselves very seldom fail. Most common problem is "Dry Joints"
Every module I have repaired probably initially failed due to dry joints which then takes out components.

Dry joints are very hard to see. Suck the solder off the brass connection pins. You will be surprised what you find.