Electronic Ignition

Information and discussion of EFI hardware and specifications
delcowizzid

Re: Electronic Ignition

Post by delcowizzid »

you should be able to run any efi/electronic ignition specific coil you just need to make sure you run the extra 12volt feed to the positive like the camira coil the four pins are 12 volt feed,module input ,earth to module as well and rpm wire each set of 2 plugs are just parrallel connection like round coils with 2 spades on each terminal.didnt you hook that other coil up with only 2 wires last time one on positive one on negative should be 2 wires on the positive terminal.ide go RB30 type coil or goos aftermarket jobby.even the aftermarket round coils are good just make sure it says efi or electronic ignition on it.
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

We run a ICE coil on the Val and it works well. Just do what delcowizzid says about the electronic ignition coil.

The transitors should be NPN in XR Pilots schematic.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Gee this forums great, all the answers :) Knowing how to interface the ignition better really opens up the options with these ecus. Since my sr20 would have an optical sensor, and a standard msd 3 bar map, and currently has broken ignition, im starting to think i could even delco that now.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

yeah i bet you could search the net for days and not find topics like have been covered here in the little time since this site been here. im sure we still have a lot of good ideas we can think of yet too.
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
monaro308
cars: VT S1 LS1 C/dore track car
HJ GTS Monaro Coupe
CV8 V2 S3
VE SSV

Post by monaro308 »

I feel so inadequate :cry: my electronics knowledge sucks - wishing i could help.
You are so right delco...whats been put up on this site in the last month or so is left field stuff and opens up another world for Delco mods and is interesting...even for an electronics nuff nuff like me :D :D
Keep it up fella's
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

don't wqorry monaro308, i'll be sitting right beside you with the electronics skills :)
antus
Site Admin
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute

Post by antus »

VL400, what was that you were telling me the other day about the weak camira module spark? Was the weak spark due to the camira module, or the camira coil?
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

From what an ignition guy was telling me it was the module that was lacking in spark energy, it could not saturate the coil as fast as other modules.
antus
Site Admin
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute

Post by antus »

I assumed through this conversation that being distributor the v8 module would be pretty much exactly the same as the camira one, only more hard core internally. Ive googled it, and am finding pics like this of v8 ignition modules. So, is this the v8 equivalent? If so, does anyone have the pinouts? I gather it should be wired up like the camira one?
v8module.jpg
v8module.jpg (133.09 KiB) Viewed 6156 times
antus
Site Admin
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute

Post by antus »

looks to me like the v8 module is for hall effect and the camira module is for reluctor, so as my ignition is reluctor based I cant just swap in a v8 module.

Heres a nice higher res diagram of the camira module Ive found in my travels:
gm-ign-module-schm.jpg
gm-ign-module-schm.jpg (42.04 KiB) Viewed 6160 times