Alternator Wiring With LED

Wiring diagrams and questions
Dylan
cars: VR Commodore V8

Alternator Wiring With LED

Post by Dylan »

I'm helping a mate who has re wired his car. Including making his own dash cluster. He has gone with LED indicator lights for hi beam blinkers etc. AND the charge indicator light. I have wired alternators in the past but this isn't the norm.

I've done plenty of googling and found some way too hi tech answers or conflicting info.
I'd love some feedback from the guys on here. Plenty of varying knowledge and experience.

Just a suggestion of my thinking. Fit a X value resistor in place of a standard charge light and have a LED in parallel with that resistor in an orientation so that it illuminates when the alternator isn't charging.

Alternator is from a VT LS1.

Fire away all feedback appreciated.
slewinson
cars: Barina SB C14SE
Lexus RX350
VW Golf Mk5 TDI DSG

Re: Alternator Wiring With LED

Post by slewinson »

I would stick with a globe if possible as some regulators require the current as bias. Other way would be to use a resistor as suggested, with the value calculated based on the lamp wattage. Eg. 3 watt lamp would be 250mA current draw and a 47 or 56 ohm 5 watt resistor would draw similar current. It will get warm when lit too.

Simon.
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

as slewinson suggested, the exciter circuit requires ballast (usually a 2-5watt globe, depending on the alternator), the trick we use for this is to fit a glass type fuse holder with a festoon globe inside, inline with the LED.
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
Charlescrown
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Post by Charlescrown »

I recently looked into this and yes the resistor will get warm but it will work. The biggest problem I had was finding a bulb holder for a 3 watt bulb. They all sell LED ones these days.
Dylan

Post by Dylan »

Just for further thought. I've had an alternator running before with no charge light but with a diode between an ignition source and the alternator then the sensing wire to the battery. That worked on a VT V6 alternator.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

In my track car i have a bulb in parallel with a led. Led is visible, bulb is just in the loom out of sight.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Dylan

Post by Dylan »

antus wrote:In my track car i have a bulb in parallel with a led. Led is visible, bulb is just in the loom out of sight.
When does the LED illuminate? Say with an ignition off-no charge scenario?
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

i've never had an issue with running a VR V6 alternator and an LED as the light .... ?!?!

does still stay on but very dull when engine is running .... but other than that works alright.
Dylan

Post by Dylan »

That's interesting and when it's not charging it gets brighter?
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

yeah as in engine stopped ignition on.