VS Sequential conversion (VT LOOM) No CEL

Wiring diagrams and questions
Whyzee

VS Sequential conversion (VT LOOM) No CEL

Post by Whyzee »

Hi everyone!
Got my 1995 VS running today on the VT sequential injection and all seems well but I have a couple of small problems.

Firstly, the check engine light stays illuminated whenever the ignition is on, and/or when the car is running. It drives well and everything else seems to work (went for a 20 min drive this afternoon). SECONDLY the air-con fan is always on with the engine running unless it's in diagnostic mode (not sure whether it's a related problem).

For the wiring I followed the diagrams in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=32&t=1352
along with the VT V8 diagram as posted by the1 in another thread. I've wired it all up as per the diagrams for the s3 VS - I've checked and tested for continuity 3 times between the diagnostics plug and ECU plug so it appears to be connected properly.

Diagnostic mode still works (light won't flash, just stays on) for setting ignition timing; without pin 5/6 bridged it tends to stay around 14 degrees advanced, and in diagnostic mode it goes back to 10 degrees which suggests that diagnostic mode is working fine. I haven't connected the trip computer yet (need to add a pin for that function), but I don't think that should make a difference to the CEL.

I've had VATS removed with the DRRS bin burnt to the memcal.

Any ideas on where to start looking?
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Re: VS Sequential conversion (VT LOOM) No CEL

Post by antus »

You'll need an ALDL cable, then log the computer and let it tell you what the error code is. Probably it'll be something that isnt present on your car, and once you know what it is you can tell that error not to light the light. The computer will then do the right thing, and the light will come on if or when some error you are not expecting occurs.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
VX L67 Getrag

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

At a guess without knowing what the code is, with fan staying on it sounds like a communication error to the BCM.
Whyzee

Post by Whyzee »

I ordered an aldl cable from the1 last night and is in the mail today so should be here by the end of the week.

Good point re the bcm. Fingers crossed I can find the problem with the aldl cable.

The car was originally a 6. But has been running the v8 with the 424 pcm without a problem for a few months. But now has the later vs s3 pcm (16234531) along with the modded vt loom, added knock sensor and second o2 sensor, iat, MAF etc etc.

Don't know whether the s3 bcm is different?
Last edited by Whyzee on Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

what tune are you running in it ?
Whyzee

Post by Whyzee »

Holden202T wrote:what tune are you running in it ?
It's the DRRS bin on a vt memcal
Whyzee

Post by Whyzee »

I've been thinking about this some more. Are the VT and VS s3 memcals physically different?

Some of the plug pinouts are different for the VS (which are related to the CEL and a few other functions). The CEL for the VS connects to pin F5 - on the VT this pin is used for the neutral safety switch.

Pin F8 for the VS goes to the warning lamp check relay (earths pin when relay triggered) - on the VT this pin is the 'crank sensing' feed (+12V when cranking).

Pin F5 for the VS is the condensor fan relay (triggered by A/C) and for the VT this pin is for the hi speed thermo fan trigger.

I've been told that the VS s3 and VT ECU's are the same. Does the memcal have the capability to change the functions of these pins?

I'd really appreciate any help or input at all!
MAGP
cars: VC V8 sedan, VS V6 wagon, VT V8 Landcruiser.

Post by MAGP »

Whyzee wrote:I've been thinking about this some more. Are the VT and VS s3 memcals physically different?
<snip>
I've been told that the VS s3 and VT ECU's are the same. Does the memcal have the capability to change the functions of these pins?

I'd really appreciate any help or input at all!
The VS3 and VT1 V8 PCM are the 531 and they are the exact same in both series because the VS3 and VT1 V8 engines are the same engine (roller cam-MAF-Sequential Injection) just with differing KW ratings.
Whyzee

Post by Whyzee »

Yeah the engine management side of things is the same, they differ in how they connect to the body loom.

Starting to think that it may even be a vt tune with vats removed. I suppose that could happen...
MAGP
cars: VC V8 sedan, VS V6 wagon, VT V8 Landcruiser.

Post by MAGP »

Can you identify the tunes bin ID?
EDIT: You posted up the top that you had DRRS put on the chip and that is a 5 litre VS3 tune.
For the 5 litre VT1 tunes are CDUZ CNUL CFZC CJDN CFZB CNPK CNPJ CNPF