vt - vx wiring differences

Wiring diagrams and questions
chopped35

vt - vx wiring differences

Post by chopped35 »

first post so don' t tear me a new one yet :D i have a 2000 transit that i have fitted a vx v6 engine and trans complete with engine harness and matching pcm. it has had the vats removed and is running without the bcm. the conversion wiring harness that i used was in a 98 transit with a 98 vt engine and trans fitted. the conversion harness is one from the v6 conversion guy in nsw. it all plugs together and runs and drives ok..... but....... hooked it up to a scan tool and no communication. the scan tool dude tried to sneak in a few different ways but same deal. i figure there cant be much to far wrong. can anyone here point me in the direction of what the mismatch in wiring / pin position differences there are between 98 vt and vx? the vx is a nov 2001 build, the 98 vt i am not sure of but the pcm has different plugs to the vx so i think it is a series one. van goes well , put an f series ford lsd 9 inch under the back, probably overkill but the transit diff was baked (like most) and old mate had a 3.5 ratio center leftover from another gig so why not.... cheers all.
Holden202T

Re: vt - vx wiring differences

Post by Holden202T »

ok from the VX V6 diagram i have you need to connect the C13 (R/B) wire from the pcm to pin 9 on the diagnostic connector, you will also need the ground pin, i think +12v is optional, i know the PCMhacking interface doesn't need it as it gets power from USB.

from memory of helping firebug wire up a L67 into his gemini, this wire goes through the engine bay plugs, but i guess you could tap into it at the pcm at least to test .....
chopped35

Post by chopped35 »

thanks for your reply, appreciate it. diagnostic connector has red/ black wire on pin 9 and that goes out to engine bay connector . other side of engine bay connector is also r/b. i have done a continuity test to the engine bay plug but not from there to the pcm... job for tomorrow.... if i get to it. you mention an earth pin, is that diagnotic connector or a ground pin on the pcm? the diagnostic has red/black on pin 9 . pink b+ ign on pin 16. black on both pins 4 & 5 ground full time. black /white on pin 6. is it possible to wire up the matching vx bcm to the existing vt connector so i can at least have a working check engine light ? as for the need to be able to communicate with the pcm i think there is a code 92 but i need to verify that. as i am not running the bcm after about ten seconds from start up the fans come on from cold so i need to get that sorted. cheers and thanks for your time :thumbup: :thumbup:
hsv08
cars: (EX) VT SENATOR 355 STROKER
(EX) VT SS 304 MANUAL
NOW VX V6 HACK

Post by hsv08 »

chopped35 wrote:thanks for your reply, appreciate it. diagnostic connector has red/ black wire on pin 9 and that goes out to engine bay connector . other side of engine bay connector is also r/b. i have done a continuity test to the engine bay plug but not from there to the pcm... job for tomorrow.... if i get to it. you mention an earth pin, is that diagnotic connector or a ground pin on the pcm? the diagnostic has red/black on pin 9 . pink b+ ign on pin 16. black on both pins 4 & 5 ground full time. black /white on pin 6. is it possible to wire up the matching vx bcm to the existing vt connector so i can at least have a working check engine light ? as for the need to be able to communicate with the pcm i think there is a code 92 but i need to verify that. as i am not running the bcm after about ten seconds from start up the fans come on from cold so i need to get that sorted. cheers and thanks for your time :thumbup: :thumbup:
To get the PCM to communicate with scan tools all you need is to make sure that OBD pin 9 (red/Black) goes to PCM pin C13
But you also need to make sure that OBD Pins 4 & 5 are grounded.

OBD pin 16 is B+, Tech2/MDI use it for powering up, as Holden202T has mentioned with tunerpro and ALDL cable the USB port supplies power.

Either VT or VX BCM can be wired up, Just be sure that the wiring for the BCM (Plug A iirc) is pinned correctly for the BCM you require.
As on A5 on low/mid BCMs are EARTH, on HIGH and LUX A5 is B+, so you can imagine what can happen if the wrong pinned plug is put in the wrong series BCM

Iirc the high speed Fan is triggered via the PCM and Low speed Triggered by BCM, No comms from BCM will automatically trigger low speed.
Im pretty sure the XDF for Vx V6 doesn't allow any fault code masking.
So to get passed the fan issue you may need to wire a BCM up for sole purpose of keeping the fans happy.
Only requires about 5 wires to connect up
hsv08
cars: (EX) VT SENATOR 355 STROKER
(EX) VT SS 304 MANUAL
NOW VX V6 HACK

Post by hsv08 »

chopped35 wrote:thanks for your reply, appreciate it. diagnostic connector has red/ black wire on pin 9 and that goes out to engine bay connector . other side of engine bay connector is also r/b. i have done a continuity test to the engine bay plug but not from there to the pcm... job for tomorrow.... if i get to it. you mention an earth pin, is that diagnotic connector or a ground pin on the pcm? the diagnostic has red/black on pin 9 . pink b+ ign on pin 16. black on both pins 4 & 5 ground full time. black /white on pin 6. is it possible to wire up the matching vx bcm to the existing vt connector so i can at least have a working check engine light ? as for the need to be able to communicate with the pcm i think there is a code 92 but i need to verify that. as i am not running the bcm after about ten seconds from start up the fans come on from cold so i need to get that sorted. cheers and thanks for your time :thumbup: :thumbup:
To get the PCM to communicate with scan tools all you need is to make sure that OBD pin 9 (red/Black) goes to PCM pin C13
But you also need to make sure that OBD Pins 4 & 5 are grounded.

OBD pin 16 is B+, Tech2/MDI use it for powering up, as Holden202T has mentioned with tunerpro and ALDL cable the USB port supplies power.

Either VT or VX BCM can be wired up, Just be sure that the wiring for the BCM (Plug A iirc) is pinned correctly for the BCM you require.
As on A5 on low/mid BCMs are EARTH, on HIGH and LUX A5 is B+, so you can imagine what can happen if the wrong pinned plug is put in the wrong series BCM

Iirc the high speed Fan is triggered via the PCM and Low speed Triggered by BCM, No comms from BCM will automatically trigger low speed.
Im pretty sure the XDF for Vx V6 doesn't allow any fault code masking.
So to get passed the fan issue you may need to wire a BCM up for sole purpose of keeping the fans happy.
Only requires about 5 wires to connect up
chopped35

Post by chopped35 »

thanks, vx bcm i have is out of the same vehicle as engine and trans, it is mid level 013. can you help me out with a pinout for the relevant connector/s to get it wired up enough to sort the fan and comm issue? will the check engine light work or would it require using the commodore cluster in the van. appreciate your time. cheers
chopped35

Post by chopped35 »

more stupid questions..... i am looking at a dakota digital sta1000 speedo / tacho interface to use on this vx v6 /transit, it also has a check engine light as a funtion. would solve 3 problems in one for me ie speedo needs a box of some sort to make it work, tacho reads wrong 4/6 cyl , no check engine light without fitting the commodore bcm and cluster. works on obd2 systems. i have read that vx v6 runs obd2 protocol to jive with the pcm but faaaark talk about being in the dark on this stuff and lots of conflicting reading on the net as to what might or might not work. any clues ?? other angle is a bcm simulator, a separate box for speedo and another box for the tach, best part of a grand in total. does anyone do a bcm simulator for these things at a reasonable $. thanks.............. maybe drinking heavily is the remedy :wtf: :wtf: