Chassis earth vs sensor earth

Wiring diagrams and questions
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Re: Chassis earth vs sensor earth

Post by immortality »

Dylan wrote:I may of explained it wrong. The 2 earth point's on the harness are connected inside the loom with a wire, I think.

I have one pulled apart I'll double check
Yeah that would the the PCM earths for the sensors etc as per the wiring diagram I posted, the ignition coil power earths as VL400 posted is separate.

This is a better factory wiring diagram,
05f.pdf
(593.08 KiB) Downloaded 334 times
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Dylan wrote:I may of explained it wrong. The 2 earth point's on the harness are connected inside the loom with a wire, I think.

I have seen this is most OEM looms hence why I follow that route for my grounds but add heavier gauge up to the point where all the other grounds junction from and between the groups. Basically its just the OEM method with better material budget.

As for what VL said about running completely isolated one for the ignition I see the point and agree but I have never done it as I have never built a loom that uses grounded coils as they have all been the V6 style bi-polar coils and DFI modules self ground via the bracket so I don't need to do anything there.

For my next loom it will run LS coils so I will do something different there but that's some time away to even think about it at this stage.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

Gotcha, joining earths together in the loom is common practice and works fine. Its just joining different types of earths together that causes issues with voltage offsets. Widebands are notorious for this with its higher current heater switching circuitry and high accuracy analog output where mV's matter sharing a common earth wire. 14point7 are one of the few that provide two earth wires to get around this issue.
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

Righto...

So what I'm taking from all of this is that it does matter how earths are routed but it is often overlooked? Like in the case of the mil spec harness that I came across and as you say VL400 most widebands

I think I'll continue to follow manufacturers specs rather than skimp or cut corners.
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

I recently helped a mate wire up a Innovative WB into his VS Calais and it only had the one power and one earth wire which I was quiet surprised about after having used the 14point7 gear previously.
The1

Post by The1 »

as most have always prob said, anything that needs a reference point like 02 sensor then use another earth like from ecu or a separate line that is a stable reference, most other stuff can go on engine block or chassis
jay woo

Post by jay woo »

Maybe the youtube video from adaptronic's on grounding may help.
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

Some great explanations there, thanks for posting :thumbup:
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...