VZ Ute speedo not working

Wiring diagrams and questions
delcowizzid

Re: VZ Ute speedo not working

Post by delcowizzid »

If I remember right when I wired the starlets 3.6 speed sensor went to the tcm under the glove box then I can't remember if it was hard wired or can bus to ecu the ecu to dash. There was a lot of speedo labelled wires out of the ecu 3 or 4 in total
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

From the initial history of your car it sounds like a bitsa. Some part of the sensor, dash, pim, pcm is likely to be swapped. im not experienced with VZ, so i cant go much deeper, but it could be a sine wave vs square wave from the trans where one device can handle the signal and one cant.

The mdi up there doesnt show the circuit boards, so its possible something else is inside, but I think they stopped making ones that dont work at all, and at that price i'd expect the seller knows what it is. The blue MDI is sold as a tech2 replacement, you still need software. If its a problem with your dash configuration you'd need tech2win software and the holden bin file for tech2. Thats about all I can help with there, google would be your friend. Even though they are sold for use with GM they are a proper standard J2534 tool (which was designed by bosch who OEM to many manufacturers) and you can be sure it'll do J2534 properly and work with other tools. Mine has worked with everything ive tried it for so far.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Madmatt2006
cars: VZ SVZ Commodore
VH Commodore
JZZ30 Soarer GTT

Post by Madmatt2006 »

delcowizzid wrote:If I remember right when I wired the starlets 3.6 speed sensor went to the tcm under the glove box then I can't remember if it was hard wired or can bus to ecu the ecu to dash. There was a lot of speedo labelled wires out of the ecu 3 or 4 in total
I think you might be heading in the right direction! the previous owner has looked at all the wiring and the glove box is out, they even pop the looms out that go into the firewall between the engine bay and cab. They obviously swapped the motor with the wrong year model this is why they could not get it to run. They even sent the ecu and bcm off here https://www.injectronics.com.au/ to be checked I can tell by the writing and labels. I wonder how to check the wires under the glove are all good? I can check with multi meter I just need to know what wires!
Madmatt2006
VH Commodore
JZZ30 Soarer GTT

Post by Madmatt2006 »

antus wrote:From the initial history of your car it sounds like a bitsa. Some part of the sensor, dash, pim, pcm is likely to be swapped. im not experienced with VZ, so i cant go much deeper, but it could be a sine wave vs square wave from the trans where one device can handle the signal and one cant.

The mdi up there doesnt show the circuit boards, so its possible something else is inside, but I think they stopped making ones that dont work at all, and at that price i'd expect the seller knows what it is. The blue MDI is sold as a tech2 replacement, you still need software. If its a problem with your dash configuration you'd need tech2win software and the holden bin file for tech2. Thats about all I can help with there, google would be your friend. Even though they are sold for use with GM they are a proper standard J2534 tool (which was designed by bosch who OEM to many manufacturers) and you can be sure it'll do J2534 properly and work with other tools. Mine has worked with everything ive tried it for so far.
No shes not a bitsa the only things that are questionable is the gearbox loom from back of engine to gearbox and engine swap now. Every thing else is original now ecu bcm cluster engine loom, so really just an engine swap now and don't know if box wiring is original or off auto maybe. Or could be something like Delcowizzid mentioned?

I love this website just brilliant! :thumbup:
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

My loom at the back of the engine was power to trans from the round plug by the ecu and rear O2s I can double check tomorrow but I don't seem to remember speed in there. Everything front the auto went straight in the firewall to the transmission control module on my auto one and then ran accross the dash and out the drivers side back to the ecu. Where does your manual wiring go
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

Here you go fired up the laptop at 3am lol
Pin 64 on x2 which is the ecu plug that goes to the body is vss signal in most likely via the big white loom plug behind the glove box where the auto loom and tcm plug into the dash loom after coming through the firewall. pin 22 on the same ecu plug is to the dash
IMG_20200123_031810.jpg
IMG_20200123_031446.jpg
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

Actually that shows it goes via plug x203 that may be the little plug that feeds the rear o2s behind the engine follow the orange and green coloured wire lol
Madmatt2006
VH Commodore
JZZ30 Soarer GTT

Post by Madmatt2006 »

Thanks for checking it out for me :thumbup: Think mine might be different because its a manual 6 speed? I don't have computer for the auto. Mine only has ECU and BCM that's it.
Madmatt2006
VH Commodore
JZZ30 Soarer GTT

Post by Madmatt2006 »

delcowizzid wrote:Here you go fired up the laptop at 3am lol
Pin 64 on x2 which is the ecu plug that goes to the body is vss signal in most likely via the big white loom plug behind the glove box where the auto loom and tcm plug into the dash loom after coming through the firewall. pin 22 on the same ecu plug is to the dash
IMG_20200123_031810.jpg
IMG_20200123_031446.jpg
so when the scan tool checks speedo pulse is it at the ECU or dash??

So I should check pin 64 on the ecu back the the speed sensor to make sure it's connected? and check pin22 back to the dash?

also with pin 64 should i put my multimeter - to batt and + to pin 64, set meter to 12V it should pulse when the wheels turn in 1st gear right? :thumbup:
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

Just unplug the sensor and the ecu plug poke a wire in the ecu plug hole for 64 and run it down near the speed sensor plug and test continuity to the signal wire at the sensor plug. That should confirm its connected to the ecu. You could spin the sensor and check for pulse at the ecu by back probing the OG wire and earth on volts on your meter