vr v8 auto pcm runing t5

Wiring diagrams and questions
jca
cars: HQ monaro
vz ss thunder
ve ss sports wagon

vr v8 auto pcm runing t5

Post by jca »

Hi Guys, trying 2 nut out a memcal for a customer has converter his auto vr v8 to a t5 I have turned all the dtcs off but the speedo is causeing me a few issues, ie the motor and box came from a vn v8 so it has a 3 wire speed sensor and the wiring loom vr auto computer runs a 2 wire , I know there is box that castle auto electrics sells that will convert the 3 wire hall effect sensor to the 2 wire set buts its over $500 bucks, I have seen a guy selling converter auto pcms to run with the t5 on ebay does any body know how this is done can we get the pcm to read the speed sensor input at a different pin?. regardss jason
Jayme

Re: vr v8 auto pcm runing t5

Post by Jayme »

I dont think the auto PCM can read the manual VSS but you have 2 options.
the Auto PCM outputs a square wave on pin C12 (V/W) in the same format as a manual VSS to go to the speedo. so cut that wire off the auto PCM, then send the signal from the manual VSS straight up that wire to the speedo.

the 3 manual VSS wires are power, earth and signal output.

the other thing I have done recently is just pull all the PCM pins and reorder them to the VN manual computer locations and plug that in. worked great and didnt need to replace the whole loom :D
jca
cars: HQ monaro
vz ss thunder
ve ss sports wagon

Post by jca »

Hi, yep thats not a bad idea just send the signal wire from the speed sensor straight 2 the speedo the only thing is the pcm won't know weather its idle or cruising but being a manual it shouldn't worry it much the vn / computer was the next step, i don't have the car so the customer is doing the hands on stuff so i can't see un pining a loom, thanks for ur help. regards Jason
Jayme

Post by Jayme »

yeah ive tuned 3 v8's with no VSS, the only catch is that it will stall at intersections if you engine brake to go down the gears. the computer thinks the idle is too high and closes the IAC then when you put your foot on the clutch, it stalls. to stop this, just keep screwing in the manual idle stopper screw till it idles with the IAC just closed. then it can still idle high when cold and wont stall at intersecitons anymore. other than that and the lack of lean cruise its all good. oh and it will crackle more on decel as the DFCO wont work either, but the crackle sounds neat anyway :lol:
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

Jayme wrote:oh and it will crackle more on decel as the DFCO wont work either, but the crackle sounds neat anyway :lol:
some do!