VE Cluster Bench Setup

Wiring diagrams and questions
moistlemons
cars: 2002 vy ss

VE Cluster Bench Setup

Post by moistlemons »

Is it possible to wire up a bench set up for VE clusters with just the obd2 connector and cluster plug.
I've got battery and ground on the cluster plug, and an ignition switch to turn on the cluster

The problem lies with the obd2, I can't get communication? Is there something else needed?

For obd
4,5 is ground, 16 is battery, dark green is??
The other 2 pins are connected to each other. (Turns out to be can and iso) which go on the serial wire

--

Any help?
Last edited by moistlemons on Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ironduke
cars: Mainly GM trucks, a Cruze and an Equinox for dailys..

Re: VE Cluster Bench Setup

Post by ironduke »

Not sure if I can get the schematic but if you post up the year, make, and model I can try and look it up. I have an IPC on the bench right now from a 2003 Silverado. 1 battery, 1 ignition, 2 grounds, and 1 data line to pin 2 for vpw communication and it's chatting away for me.. I'd assume that's all you'd need to make it talk as well..

Modules like the keyless entry module have no ignition/discrete turn on and rely on data line wakeup and ign/acc on messages to stay awake and function.. I don't think your IPC is like that.
moistlemons

Post by moistlemons »

The cluster plug and obd2 port would be from a 2006 Holden Commodore VE. I wired up Vt-vz as there was plenty of info. But nothing for VE
Last edited by moistlemons on Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
moistlemons

Post by moistlemons »

Found the solution

It turns out I had it wired correctly, needs the iso, can and green? wire all on the serial

The problem was the way I was checking the communication, I was using a snapon diagnostic tool. Which must need modules connected, which was silly as this can't even program the clusters

I tried a tech2 with the candi module attached and was able to read the data (which turns out to be pointless as it needs other modules? to program it via a tech2)