understanding VN timing wheels

Wiring diagrams and questions
ekdave1962
cars: EK holden running vn v6

understanding VN timing wheels

Post by ekdave1962 »

hi everyone im not sure where to post this.
i have a holden 202 currently set up for vn efi using a camira ingntion module on a modified 202 hei dizzy .
now i have just had a set of timing wheels manufactured to replicate the VN ones there designed to fit on the front of hammonic balance and use the standard vn hall effects pick up .
i was wondering how the worked here is part of my ramblings to 202 he sugested i ask on there as he had only used the camira setup

ok so im just thinking out aloud here you have mostlikly well and truely moved passed the 202 ..
if the camira module is sending both 18 X and 3 X signals to the ecu . im guessing the 3x is ignored as the dizzy cap is actually do that job, then the same effect could be acieved by a 6 toothed wheel and running the senor signals to both 18x 3x DFI inputs ? im not sure how it would recieve the ref signals the 3x thou but i dont see have the camira module does that either ..maybe its doesnt really care about the spacing and just accepts 3 pulse and after that it ignores signals and it has caculated its TDC . reading on the vn interepter rings the 18 is cam position the 3 x TDC and once ecu recieves 3 X pulse it disregards the inner ring signals .

now what im trying to work out is why the camaria module works and how it sends bother 18x ad 3 x to the ecu .. cos the manual says it need both but unless the DFI is actually interperting the signals and just sends a ok to the ecu i cant work out how it actually functions other wise .. ?

D
delcowizzid

Re: understanding VN timing wheels

Post by delcowizzid »

theres a pic on here i posted somewhere shows the signal from the CAS to dfi for vn v6 the dfi turns it into a signal for the ecu and decodes it to know which one is number 1 plug ill try find the pic
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
Jayme

Post by Jayme »

the 18x and 3x are sent to the dfi (coilpacks), which is a smartypants little unit that then creates a crankshaft ref signal to send to the pcm. it uses the 18 and 3x signals to figure out which coil to fire at a given time. the Camira module just sends the crankshaft ref signal straight up, one pulse each time a cyl hits 10deg BTDC then the dizzy does the job of sendign it to the right cyl. you seem to be getting the 18x and 3x confused with the dizzy and camira setup, completely different worlds
ekdave1962

Post by ekdave1962 »

ok thanks guys for your help in understanding the timing wheels i had a feeling the DFI module was the one that did the caculations but wasnt 100 % on it ..
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

https://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=128 have a look at that thread if you havnt come accross it has dis info
ekdave1962

Post by ekdave1962 »

yeah thanks Delcowiz i have seen that before, but cant quite understand how the 2 wheels combined would work with the VN setup , i think it would end up confused like me as to which notch is actually reading .. but hopefully the wheels i have cut will work with the std VN dual sensor ..
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

if you built them to mimic the vn ones and going the right direction through the CAS so the slots follow the same order it should be fine
ekdave1962

Post by ekdave1962 »

yeah Delco thats how i have planned them was curiuos thou as it if a single wheel could work less would be better ..
but hell the modified dizzy works fine so im not even sure if there is any real advantage on a st8 6 going with the coil packs and im sure once my nvram board arrives ill have lots to keep myself busy in the tuning dept .. :-)

thanks for sharing your time and experience ..

D