Yes couple of time
Six_Shooter
cars: 2005 Dodge Dakota - For Sale
2000 GMC Yukon - The Daily driver
1985 GMC Jimmy S-15 - Under reconstruction
1973 Datsun 240Z - Toy, uses GM EFI.

Re: Conversion Issue

Post by Six_Shooter »

I've found no matter the brand, that once plugs are fouled, they need to be replaced. The only way to get them to work is to get them warm first, then they might fire. Had this happen recently on my Grandfather's '71 Chev pick-up. EFI conversion, that originally had a less than adequate fuel pump, causing lean conditions, and because of that ended up fouling the plugs. Installed a better pump, still no fire, changed plugs to another set of used plugs, it fired but barely. Bought a brand new set, and it starts every time now.

If the engine is getting THAT flooded while cranking you either have a stuck injector or your cranking PW is too high.

Has the ground side of the injector wiring been checked? Making sure that it is not pinched, or grounded, or connected to anything other than the ECM itself.
2005 Dodge Dakota - The daily
1985 GMC Jimmy - A work in progress
1973 Datsun 240Z - The Toy, turbocharged and injected using GM EFI, and code59

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Post by Newbie »

They plugs are not fouled have changed the plugs and made no difference.
The has been tested fuel pump pressure and flow is more then sufficent it is a new 044
Injectors not stuck i removed them cleaned and tested them there fine.
Wiring is fine i suspected something like that coulc have been the issue hence new wiring harness with no change.
The memcal is stock and was tested in other cars ecu fitted and tried
What else could cause excessive pulsewidth as i have gone over and treid everything that i was aware of
Jayme

Post by Jayme »

what is the fuel pressure at? it should prime ar 43psi no more, an 044 is a big ask of a stock reg. may I ask why such a psycho pump? you could have a bum reg, ive seen even 50 - 55psi rail pressure flood an engine

Post by Newbie »

Hey mate,
A mentioned reg has been replaced primes at around 40psi holds around 34psi when vacuum is applied using mighty vac.Fuel pump was already installed prior to conversion I personally have Never had any problems with a 044 pump i wouldnt describe a 044 as a phsyco pump on a holden would have done at least 30 odd in last few years without a issue
Thanks
Dec_head
cars: VR Calais

Post by Dec_head »

Did you try removing the fuel pump relay and cranking it over if like you say it has spark and plugs are ok and it has been overfueling their is no reason why it shouldn't fire it has worked for me in the past.
My ecm had a fit one day i think someone had spilt a drink in it because it sits on the passenger floor most of the time and it flooded the car even after changing it i couldn't get it to fire until i removed the fuel pump relay then after it fired up burn't all the excess fuel i put it back in it has been fine ever since.
Last edited by Dec_head on Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Newbie »

Lol i see you changed post from efi to fuel pump relay, i have removed the fuel pump relay power to stop the fuel but it still wont fire
Dec_head
cars: VR Calais

Post by Dec_head »

yeah thought about what i had typed afterwards lol but if the car has spark at the leads and it is timed correctly and the plugs are wet obviously has fuel what can it be other then spark plugs ?
It has everything else from what i have read compression etc
Did you check each plug individually to make sure it is actually working.
Not that it would solve the problem that killed them to begin with but surely it should fire.

Post by Newbie »

I used the same logic as you and have been over it all hence why my post. It is a old 5l ffs it has fuel,spark and compression it should go!!! there is spark at all leads ive just fitted new sparkplugs now still nothing now 4th set(surely cant have 4 dud sets form 3 manufactuers lol) . I suspected there could have been a spark issue hence replacing the Dissy cap rotor and leads, new MSD coil, New module.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

so is it even sounding like its firing at all or just totally nothing ?