VZ SS Dash Cluster pinouts

Wiring diagrams and questions
yoda69
cars: 2004 VYII Acclaim Wagon V6 Auto LPG/Petrol
2004 VYII Berlina sedan V6 Auto
2005 VZ Monaro CV8 manual

Re: VZ SS Dash Cluster pinouts

Post by yoda69 »

For a VY Cluster the Green/White wire is the Serial input to the instruments at pin 2.
It is also used by all other modules communicating via Serial Data

yoda69
Jayme

Post by Jayme »

im no expert but I was under the impression the bcm needed to be present as well for it all to work properly as the bcm is the bus master... cant hurt to try to hook it up and see if it works... if not, then try a powered up bcm on the aldl bus as well then it should work.
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

Correct, the BCM must be present. In LSx vehicles there is a PIM (powertrain interface module) that does a conversion so the OBD-II PCM can talk on the ALDL bus. The BCM as the bus master schedules when each device should talk on the bus. Basically it requests information on behalf of the dash, it sends out a request that the PCM detects which returns the info to drive some of the dash functions. It also does the same for the SRS and ABS by sending out a message asking for its status.

There are a few differences in the VZ and VY data streams so you may find that the message contents are not compatible between the models - a few people on here should know the answer to that though.

Here is a thread on the VT and the way the ALDL requests for bus devices are made .. https://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=724
mrlctorana
cars: 04 VY SS
03 Hilux
69 LC Torana
77 LX Torana

Post by mrlctorana »

thanks for the info, this has got real complicated real quick lol. Would have been a lot easier to start with a complete half cut of a VZ SS and just change over the lot, modules, wiring dash, ect, But didn't plan the dash conversion to start with.

So if it's not possible to get it working without the use of these other modules, I'd then need to connect the inputs/output of these other modules to my current ECM aswell? Would there be much to this or could I get away with a bare minumum of wires connecting the modules to get the dash to function.

At the moment it seems easier to get ahold of a complete VZ harness including all modules ect, But simply haven't got the time or $$$ atm to do this. Is there any other way to get around it without using the other modules, Can it be "hacked" or "reprogrammed" as such to bypass the errors. Not real confident but thought i'd ask, as you guys are all very switched on it with all this, and I have no frickin idea, lol.
TTVN
cars: TT 355 VN, Rearmount turbo 355 vp, cammed 355 hj60 landcruiser, vx clubby n efilive VZ ls1 wagon

Post by TTVN »

i think the speedo and tach are on the bus as well and driven off the bcm/pim have you looked into that??????

i think you will need a bcm and pim

i did a conversion from vz allytek to vy ls1 and had to change everything but the bcm
mrlctorana
03 Hilux
69 LC Torana
77 LX Torana

Post by mrlctorana »

Heres the diagram i've been working from
VZ dash cluster pinouts
VZ dash cluster pinouts
cluster.jpg (84.27 KiB) Viewed 9321 times
mrlctorana
03 Hilux
69 LC Torana
77 LX Torana

Post by mrlctorana »

whoohoo just got the big girl fired up again finally, with dash and eveything in place and nearly fell over when i looked at the tacho and it was sitting on 8oorpm :D I had lost all hope of getting them working, just have to test out the speedo and if that works i'll be a very happy camper as that'd be enough to get it registered and then may be able to sort out the other gauges and stuff later on.
Jayme

Post by Jayme »

so how did you end up doing it? just hooked up a BCM and pim with minimal wiring onto the aldl bus with the dash?
mrlctorana
03 Hilux
69 LC Torana
77 LX Torana

Post by mrlctorana »

nah mate just a wire coming out of the e38 ecm straight to the dash, theres a speedo wire the same from the ecm so hoping that works too. I reckon i'll still have to do as was suggested with the bcm and pim with minimal wiring as im not confident I can get it to work for the other gauges or to get past the contact dealer error, but its a start lol.
Dylan
cars: VR Commodore V8

Post by Dylan »

Good work mate, im looking at doing the same setup soon on a mates hilux. Have you had a chance yet to try the speedo yet?
Is that the only diagram you worked from for the wiring?