Uv eraser and burning help needed

EPROM EEPROM SRAM NVRAM Flash chips, reading/writing hardware and software
VX L67 Getrag

Re: Uv eraser and burning help needed

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

Like I mentioned earlier I've had the same chip brand type everything the same take up to an hour to erase, then next 1 of the same type only 5minutes... then go back to that 1 that took an hour last time & needs that same time again in the exact same spot of UV light.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

vp304 wrote:Looks like maybe my uv eraser, maybe dying after all these years. Gave the eprom a good 35 min or so hit under it slowed the twp and twc down
and looks like all burnt good
Will give it a go in car this weekend :)
Awesome. And yep thats how to deal with old tech! As above, probably nothing wrong with your eraser, just old tech. I think the factory eproms were not the best quality as well. Ive only ever reburnt a couple and ive seen long erase times and bad bits as well... luckily the bit happened to be permanently stuck the correct way for the bin file that went on it so it passed a verify and ran fine :D But if it was erased and needed to be set the other way, would not have happened on that hardware that came out of a working ecu.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Charlescrown
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Post by Charlescrown »

For less than $20 with free postage just but a new one. Just takes time to send Aliexpress.
In-Tech

Post by In-Tech »

A little eyeglass cleaner can work wonders on uv bulbs, then a little brake clean on a rag to the eprom window, just a suggestion if you haven't tried.

edit, also about 30 years ago when I started burning eproms I went through a couple of the el cheapo erasures, of course they seem to fail when you need it the most. I found a spectroline pl-265t used about 25 years ago for $100 and never a problem again. I'm sure they pop up cheap on ebay on occasion.
Spectroline_UV.pdf
(185.86 KiB) Downloaded 190 times
vp304

Post by vp304 »

Thanks heaps for the help and info guys.
I clean the eprom glass with glasses lens cleaner on all the chips I try and erase
Tho cleaning of the uv light is probably a good idea also.

May take the gamble and buy some of these winbond eeproms for future for my own car.
Look at this on eBay
https://www.ebay.com/itm/281105725337
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

They look fake. Ask The1, he has genuine ones in stock, the SST ones.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
vp304

Post by vp304 »

Dam ebay and fakes dam. ok
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

I use those winbonds I buy 50 to 100 at a time off that guy never had a bad one
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
vp304

Post by vp304 »

Of that ebay guy I posted above delcowizid?
Just googled looks like 2 much work to burn these eeproms on my old Willem programmer Burner also dam
vp304

Post by vp304 »

Maybe you guys can clear up couple things for me.

Have orded a new uv eraser $25 job of ali express same as what i have now just have to wait 2 months now to turn up

Done some fine tuning on my vr 11p tune now has taken me 2 days of trying to erase this chip. Still cant get a good erase or even burns are failing
Has erased 3 times when i do the vertify before burning
Then burns 100%, then fails with this or similar fault below on the vertify, after burning that it does.

Have done a heap of reading people saying try slowing the twc twp speeds may help with burning etc? Other people say not to touch them etc

Have also read 2 much uv light can cook ruin the eprom ?

Some other pages say dont plug in eprom into my willem programer till everything is plugged in and software fired up etc etc ?

I was going to order a TL866II of ebay or ali express But cant justify it for just my own car. Plus read is heap of fakes ?
But will be good. Instead of me using this 20 year old laptop with win 98 now to burn memcals
Also would mean i could put a socket and use the winbond eeprom chips i have here

Any help will be appreciated thanks guys.
Attachments
192039016_831538544411039_3350829323259314736_n.jpg
188634012_166110852145260_6845307280338209907_n.jpg