what do i need to flash a vy pcm to l67

EPROM EEPROM SRAM NVRAM Flash chips, reading/writing hardware and software
iicudigi@gmail.com
cars: 2003 vy l67 wagon

what do i need to flash a vy pcm to l67

Post by iicudigi@gmail.com »

Hi guys
ive need trying to find exact info needed to reflash my VY n/a pcm/ecu to l67 spec.

i got
tunerpro rt
ALDL cable
Flash tool

I guess i need "The Ones" Vy enhanced tunes as well.

would be greatful if anyone can let me know what software or hardware i still need

thanks guys

i did search for this but got to confused lol
delcowizzid

Re: what do i need to flash a vy pcm to l67

Post by delcowizzid »

You have everything you need. You just need to use the vy enhanced flash tune package and edit the bin file to suit. You can't flash a vy l67 tune onto the flash ecu or you will break the ecu
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
davidthiele
cars: Turbod 1972 VW Beetle with very modified suspension and brakes, Transit van getting a VY V6 conversion

Post by davidthiele »

Hi delcowizzid,

Can you please explain further what you meant by "You can't flash a vy l67 tune onto the flash ecu or you will break the ecu"?

I am confused.
Cheers
yoda69
cars: 2004 VYII Acclaim Wagon V6 Auto LPG/Petrol
2004 VYII Berlina sedan V6 Auto
2005 VZ Monaro CV8 manual

Post by yoda69 »

No factory L67 was fitted with a flash ECU, they were all memcal style ECU’s.
If a tune from a memcal is flashed into the flash ECU it will brick it as they’re not compatible.
You need to modify a factory NA or the enhanced flash tune ideally to suit the L67 engine.
davidthiele
cars: Turbod 1972 VW Beetle with very modified suspension and brakes, Transit van getting a VY V6 conversion

Post by davidthiele »

Thanks for that answer.
Makes sense. older ECU's needed older tune files and newer ECU's need newer tune files.

On a similar note, can I use a VR V6 Auto ECU to run a 4cyl engine (Turboed 1915cc VW Beetle) if I use a modified Pulsar/Camira tune file?

Cheers
David
yoda69
cars: 2004 VYII Acclaim Wagon V6 Auto LPG/Petrol
2004 VYII Berlina sedan V6 Auto
2005 VZ Monaro CV8 manual

Post by yoda69 »

No good with the VR Auto ECU to run a 4cyl but the earlier VN/VP 808 ECU has been used before.
For some light reading try this thread :study:

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4582
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

11P can run a 4 cylinder on a 424 computer, so it is possible with aftermarket code. I dont think a base tune has been made though, you'd need to start with a v6 tune and a 4 cylinder memcal/nvram and tune from there. For more info see the FAQ (link up near top right) and read the guides.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
davidthiele

Post by davidthiele »

Thanks guys for your help. Interesting reading about the Superbug. My car is already injected using Megasquirt. I am happy with it but was hoping there may be some benefits to running a factory ECU - e.g limp home mode, speed sensor, etc.

I have been tuning the Megasquirt for around 10 years now (plus some for other VW owners) so I am happy to give it a try. The ECU is a 424 and I was thinking that using the V8 manual tune might also be a possibility seeing as how I have half the cylinders and am currently using two V6 ignition coils in wasted spark.

Thanks for ideas and links so I will need to do much more reading. Enjoying the detail that people in this forum are providing - very professional.

Cheers
David