Trying to find the EEPROM in a 98 LS1 PCM

EPROM EEPROM SRAM NVRAM Flash chips, reading/writing hardware and software
jamesried

Re: Trying to find the EEPROM in a 98 LS1 PCM

Post by jamesried »

Tazzi wrote:Yeah just checked that also. It could be that SPS may download additional files that are not shown in the SPS calibration screen (Which does occur for certain modules such as E38's).

spscache directory only has the one binary and the utility file if I remember right. I used to pull them from SPS and then write the binary to replacement ECUs with efilive or tunercat instead of flashing natively until I figured out that a Tech 2 is about the only tool that'll flash them correctly with TIS2000. They really do suck really bad lol. But they're valuable ECUs now because of this for those that don't want to repin for a P01 swap.
jamesried

Post by jamesried »

Possibly the issue isn't a corrupt eeprom but the checksums being stored in there and not being updated correctly? Interesting they say flashing the original file back can fix it on that HPT link.
kojab
cars: VT V6 supercharged in a corolla

Post by kojab »

Looks like the 98 PCM's are certainly very different to the P01/P59.

They say you learn something new ever day. Recently I have been going backwards, I forget more things my wife said to do the day before.

I do have a 98 PCM here in Australia which came out of a perfectly running car. If any one needs one let me know.
jamesried

Post by jamesried »

kojab wrote:Looks like the 98 PCM's are certainly very different to the P01/P59.

They say you learn something new ever day. Recently I have been going backwards, I forget more things my wife said to do the day before.

I do have a 98 PCM here in Australia which came out of a perfectly running car. If any one needs one let me know.
I've been selling them programed and tested for nearly 800 each on ebay, throw it on there and get paid!
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

reading the linked threads and reading between the lines, it seems correct that its not in the bin. efilive can open the bin and it says vin: N/A for the file. Certainly sounds like its not intended to be stored in the bin.
hptuners can store multiple ranges in their file format. they might store a secondary eeprom in the one hpt file, and this could be behind their logic. since you cant export one of those to bin, thats probably the end of the road there. although I think i've read with an extra paid feature you might be able to. it'd be interesting to see what comes out if anyone can do it.
there might still be eeprom in the cpu, and with the right BDM config it might be readable, similar to E40 shown here https://youtu.be/SVBxSNdFr7A?t=81
edit: I loaded the 1998 hpt file from the hpt tune repository, and vcm editor does not list a vin either, so that looks like there isnt a second image in the hpt file which contains it too.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Asylumwarp

Post by Asylumwarp »

This has internal memory and is a MC68HC11E9 which I believe is an early attempt at a slave chip. For the main cpu it's a 68332 which I don't believe contains any onboard accessible memory
The e40 slave chip I believe is the newer version of this design going from 8 bit to 16 bit.. I 99.999999% believe the vin and serial and crank sensor code is inside that 68hc chip.
Attachments
Screenshot_20220525-221804-378.png