SoullessShadow
cars: Ba Futura Wagon - Been turboed since 2009
3 x Celica GT4s 1 is a Group A
ST141 Corona - 3sgte swap is planned
EP71 Toyota Starlet Turbo S
A few e36 BMW's

Re: New NVRAM setup

Post by SoullessShadow »

Progress actually tuned one of the cars on the dyno yesterday. Managed to clean the fuelling up and made some gains. Was very close to begin with.
But.....now I'm having another problem. I saved the .cal and the .bin off the nvram using the flashtool after I was finished so I could use the .bin to burn onto a vr memcal and both of them are 32kb i thought the .bin should of been 64kb?
I also took the nvram out and did a read using the tl868 and got the 128kb .bin
So what do I use to burn onto the chip? It's a BMZA chip that should be new and blank. But it fails a blank check and I cant Id it in xprog either. So any ideas would be very useful and I'll try and do some more searching. Having found the answer yet. Or what settings to use on the tl868 I have used the AMD brand 27c512 for a 512kb chip they had and burned a copy of their old tune onto it successfully.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

12P is a 32k program. You can write it to a 64k chip, the first 32k stays blank. people often use the stacker in tunerpro to make a 64k file with 2 copies of the tune, just to fill up the bottom space. Only the top copy is used, the bottom one is filler.

The nvram is 128k, and presents either the top or the bottom 64k to the ecm, depending if the bin_sw jumper is set. So what you want is to read a bin with the ose flashtool, stack it twice to make it 64k, and write it to a blank memcal.

The memcal sounds like its not blank. If its BMZA its BMZA, not blank. Did you replace the chip? What type of chip is it? You might need to erase it first.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
SoullessShadow
A few e36 BMW's

Post by SoullessShadow »

Ok that makes alot more sense to me now.
I've already got the .bin using the flashtool so I'm half way there.
I just got told they were brand new blank memcals...so yeah I was abit sceptical when the failed the blank check but I'm also unsure exactly what size they are. I assume they are the same as a Vr v6 auto chip??
antus
Site Admin
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute

Post by antus »

try and read them first. generally you'd expect the whole thing to be FF. Blank memcals sounds a bit weird, I dont think anyone makes new ones, but there are pulls from the wreckers, and you can pull the chip off and install an eeprom style chip which supports electronic erase. (ee means electronic erase), which is much more convenient. Post a photo of the top with the lid off and/or the numbers off the top if you want us to help ID it.

Generally factory chips have a number that doesnt give much away and a sticker over a window in the top of the chip, which are the type that need a UV eraser to erase the contents. They can be used, but are a bit of pain.

Generally aftermarket chips start with a number of 27C or 29C depending on the type of the chip, then its size in bits. So 27C512 is UV erase (27C) 512kbits/8 (to convert to bytes) = 64k. 28C and 29C are both electronic erase types. If you want to read more detail see https://www.batronix.com/shop/electroni ... mming.html
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
SoullessShadow
A few e36 BMW's

Post by SoullessShadow »

Thanks for the reply. Ended up that they weren't blank and even after 20mins in the uv eraser still weren't blank. I did have the window uncovered. I had 3 sst chips in with the stuff he gave me. So I ended up soldering them onto a stock memcal and that worked fine.
The cars both ran well and have been fast since the dyno

Thank you to everyone that helped
antus
Site Admin
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute

Post by antus »

Sometimes in the eraser the light doesnt hit the whole chip, and you need to flip it over if its on an angle and come at it from the other side. Glad it worked out :thumbup:
Chop8u
cars: Vn Holden 304 5l
Vp Holden 3.8 Buick

Post by Chop8u »

Sorry off topic but new to this and the site, anyone point me in the right direction of buying a Delco 808 nvram board and a communication board, want it for a Holden 304 5l
v6bucket

Post by v6bucket »

In the Fore Sale section.
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3612
"Definition of a Drag Racer: A person who spends money he doesn't have on parts he doesn't need to impress people he doesn't know." - Grumpy Jenkins----- Poverty---