VT memcal writing

EPROM EEPROM SRAM NVRAM Flash chips, reading/writing hardware and software
norm426
cars: Too Many!

VT memcal writing

Post by norm426 »

Hi Guys, I need some help here, i must be doing something wrong.

I am having trouble writing a bin to a new SST 27sf010 and a AMD 29F040, nothing works whatever i try.

I am using TP5 and Moates Flash & Burn v5.10.F

I dont see the actual 27sf010 listed in the menu of chipsto burn it to.

I see the 29f040 listed and i have one of these chips, The bin file burns and verifies fine etc, using either prom but work start the car.

I have a VT engine and trans pack and i want to use it elsewhere and as such want to disable the vats etc. But i have a VT SS 5ltr driver and i am testing the burn it this car, i have tried to read my bin in the vt (CFZB8247) and then burn it back to the new eeproms but they wont start and CEL is on. If i put the original chip back in it is fine, i downloaded CFZB8247 from here and burn it to both eeprom's and again i doesnt work.

Q's, Which is the corect chip to use? Is the flash&burn OK? is there an offset i should use? Is there a VT bin with all the vats and other prob's removed already? and how do i burn it?????

Cheers
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Re: VT memcal writing

Post by VL400 »

The 4mbit 29f040 will need an offset applied to it as it can fit 4 standard bins, the 27sf010 will use no offset. What sort of adapter are you using to interface the 29f040? That will depend on how you offset the bin when burning to it, you can also use TP to stack 4 bins to the 29f040.

I would start with an unmodified factory bin first, that way you know it will run the engine.
norm426

Post by norm426 »

I am using an adapter i bought on ebay, see attached image

I have downloaded the standard bin to suit the vt ss which is exactly what is in the car (CFZB8247)

I was hoping to get the 27sf010 working firstly as a straight copy of the running oem memcal, but which chip should be selected in the "moates prom i/o" section.
Attachments
memcal adapter.jpg
memcal adapter.jpg (28.5 KiB) Viewed 6058 times
norm426

Post by norm426 »

Guys

I got the chip to burn and work, i dug out my old top2004 programmer and away it went.

It had the SST 27sf010 listed, i loaded the bin and away it went.

Could it be that the F&B or TP5 dont support the 27sf010?
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

TP5 is pretty generic, but I dont think any American cars use the 1mbit chips, so might be a limitation of the F&B. Ive never used one though, so I cant say for sure. I know the ostrich needed a special adaptor (the G6) to work with the 1mbit chips.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
The1

Post by The1 »

should just burn as a normal 27c010 as well i would think.
gm-services
cars: 1961 Morris minor ute with L67 & T5
1994 Camaro CHP patrol car LT1 4L60E
2001 Skaife / Richards VX Bathurst winner tribute - LS1 & T56

Post by gm-services »

Hello Norm

I had a similar problem as you

Firstly, the Moates software/hardware does NOT support your 27sf010. You cannot program it.

I tried to program a 29F040B chip that came with my moates APU-1.
This did not work, the chips would come up with a verify error.
The problem was with the APU-1. After investigating Craig Moates found that the APU-1 couldn't program 29F040B's
even though they are advertised to do this and even come with a 29F040B chip!!
He very nicely sent me a Burn2 chip burner to program the chip.
This programmed the chip, verified correctly but would not work in the car (VT V6 wagon).
The problem was rectified by 'stacking' the bins 4 times on the chip to fill it completely.
I'm not sure what locations on the chip the Delco ecu is addressing but this fixed problem, check engine light off, normal running vehicle.

A lot of the problem stems from the fact that the yanks don't really use the 1 mbit chips. From 1996 all vehicles sold in the US had to be OBDII compliant
Part of this OBDII requirement was that the calibration could be easily changed (if an emission or driveability issue occured post-production). This meant all OBDII vehicles had 'flash' EEPROMS.
The aussies didn't have this restriction so they continued to use 'non flash' EPROMS of ever increasing size.
Hope this info helps, It was starting to do my head in! It was a customers car so they were very impatient.

Cheers
Brad