Bin Writing Problems

EPROM EEPROM SRAM NVRAM Flash chips, reading/writing hardware and software
v6bucket

Bin Writing Problems

Post by v6bucket »

I'm having troubles writing bins to my SST27SF512 eeproms. Originally I thought it was the cheap burner that I had, but I've recently purchased a GQ-4X USB Programmer from http://www.mcumall.com/comersus/store/c ... oduct=4282 .
I burnt a bin several months ago with the laptop to an eeprom with the cheap unit that I have which works in a car, I can connect to the ecu using the flash tool v1.27 then connect TP5 with no problems, I can also read the chip using the flash tool. If I burn a chip with the cheap unit, the flash tool says that "no device found". Thinking that the burner was u/s, I purchased the unit above. I now have the same problem with the new unit. I have tried using the different burn speeds but no luck connecting. I have tried using the desk top & laptop, but neither will connect.
This is the bin that I'm trying to burn, which is a $12P tune.
Dyno UC.bin
(6.75 KiB) Downloaded 294 times
This was read from the chip that I burnt using a "speed of 0" on the programmer, which wont connect.
uc dyno read 0.bin
(64 KiB) Downloaded 288 times
Can someone check this out & see what is going on, please.
At the moment, I'm using the nvram in the car, which makes it hard to tune another car.
I'm using TP5 v.5.00.7774.00 on the desktop & TP5 v5.00.7686.00 on the laptop(only because I haven't updated it yet). I have tried the newer versions of the flash tool, but v1.27 seems to work with my ancient (9 year old)Sony laptop.
"Definition of a Drag Racer: A person who spends money he doesn't have on parts he doesn't need to impress people he doesn't know." - Grumpy Jenkins----- Poverty---
yoda69
cars: 2004 VYII Acclaim Wagon V6 Auto LPG/Petrol
2004 VYII Berlina sedan V6 Auto
2005 VZ Monaro CV8 manual

Re: Bin Writing Problems

Post by yoda69 »

The first file is just the data section and thesecond one only has the data section of the cal ($8000-9AFF) on the and not the operating system.
I've been caught with this as well, it's to do with the OSE plugin only reading/writing the data section on the NVRAM from TP5.
To get the whole bin read the nvram with the flashtool and use this to program a chip.
Attached files should work, has your data and the operating system.

yoda69
Attachments
uc dyno update.bin
(32 KiB) Downloaded 303 times
uc dyno update stacked.bin
(64 KiB) Downloaded 317 times
v6bucket

Post by v6bucket »

Thanks yoda69, I'll try these today. When you say "To get the whole bin read the nvram with the flashtool and use this to program a chip." you mean "Get Bin" not "Get Cal" is that correct?
"Definition of a Drag Racer: A person who spends money he doesn't have on parts he doesn't need to impress people he doesn't know." - Grumpy Jenkins----- Poverty---
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

Yep use get bin. This only works for 12P, factory code has a bug that screws the very last byte of the bin.
v6bucket

Post by v6bucket »

For future reference, how do I add the "operating system" to the bin if I ever do this again?
yoda69
cars: 2004 VYII Acclaim Wagon V6 Auto LPG/Petrol
2004 VYII Berlina sedan V6 Auto
2005 VZ Monaro CV8 manual

Post by yoda69 »

Not sure about others, but I just get a standard OSE12 calibration and then copy and paste the $0000 to 1AFF from my mod'd cal into it using a Hex Editor, in your case I just used the cal file you had and pasted that.

yoda69
v6bucket

Post by v6bucket »

Thanks yoda69 & VL400.
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

Copy and paste in a hex editor is all I do too. 12P has text labels to show each segment which can make it easier to identify the start and end points.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

well you learn something new everyday :oops:

i knew of the hex copying never noticed the label at the end though :P