Reading some bin's not ascii?

EPROM EEPROM SRAM NVRAM Flash chips, reading/writing hardware and software
VX L67 Getrag

Reading some bin's not ascii?

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

Hey All,

there are some bin's when I open them with ultraedit the don't show up in the normal HEX format with ASCII down the side, they have mainly the letter;

y & some with characters around them?

I'm guessing someone else has done a read with a different program or something, tp5 can still read them in this format fine but ultraedit can't is therea simple way I can get ultraedit to read them correctly?

I know I can put the tune on a chip & then read off with my reader, but thinking there is just a setting in ultraedit I can change?

Cheers VX L67 Getrag
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Re: Reading some bin's not ascii?

Post by antus »

If its a normal bin file but ultraedit detects it as text then yes, hit the 'H' toobar button for hex mode.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
VX L67 Getrag

Re: Reading some bin's not ascii?

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

Thanks Antus,

I just made screen shots to show people I wasn't gong crazy but yeah CTR & H at the same time sorted it out!

It was just strange some bin's showed like ascii notepad(of sorts) & then other's showed up properly in Hex?

It was also strange it opened up fine(hex view) in hex workshop, but not ultraedit, but I didn't like hex workshop as it didn't show the correct amount of characters width wise but now I sorted that out in pref's too!

So now I have 2 good working hex editors, I do prefer ultraedit though looks less kiddy!

Cheers VX L67 Getrag