eprom reading/writing problems

EPROM EEPROM SRAM NVRAM Flash chips, reading/writing hardware and software
MOPAR
cars: Delco'd '57 Chrysler Royal
'62 XL Falcon

eprom reading/writing problems

Post by MOPAR »

Hi all,
I have been doing some bench testing trying to get 8192 baud on the '808, so far no luck! I think I maybe missing somthing.
I've tried a homemade Max232 circuit aswell as a FTDI USB to TTL converter. The Max232 works OK at 160 baud with $5D code when hooked to the diagnostic plug but with $12 code and the comms mod connected I can't get any data. I'v tried a couple '082 bin's, two ecu's tunerpro and EFILive just about out of idea's :wall: .

Any Suggestion's
vn5000
cars: vn v8 commodore

Re: '808 high speed comms mod

Post by vn5000 »

I just made the same mod to my 808 . Works fine with flash tool but not with tunerpro as tunerpro needs echo and you cant turn it off but you can on scanner pro .Im sure i read something about this on this site but i cant remember where.
MOPAR
'62 XL Falcon

Post by MOPAR »

I tried the flash tool aswell but still nothing. :thumbdown: Do I need the mode sense resistor between A & B on the ALDL plug?

I tried bridging A & B with the $12s to enable "flashing diagnostic mode" the CEL light Stay's on, Shouldn't it flash? or is this only with the $5D bins. I'm thinking there may something wrong with the way I've stacked the bin, I used tunerpro to stack 2 of the same bin's onto a 27c512. On the memcal the A15 pin will alway's have +5V, this shouldn't matter should it?
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

eliot wrote:I just made the same mod to my 808 . Works fine with flash tool but not with tunerpro as tunerpro needs echo and you cant turn it off but you can on scanner pro .Im sure i read something about this on this site but i cant remember where.
i have been lead to believe v5 of tunerpro will resolve this issue and will be able to load scannerpro definitions ..... heres hoping anyways cause it should fix this issue with 808's and tunerpro!!
vn5000

Post by vn5000 »

If you arent getting codes flash when you bridge blk and blk\wht then you mustnt have bin in right spot ie 8000-ffff .All you should need to do is program $12 bin ie blcf to 8000-ffff ,direct bridge diag teminals and chk eng light should flash codes.If the ecm cant read eprom bin it wont flash codes.
MOPAR
'62 XL Falcon

'808 high speed comms mod new2

Post by MOPAR »

I have found the problem is with my eprom programmer not the high speed comms mod. Eprom program's and read's back ok but I when i tried reading a ATFY memcal I have and compared it to a ATFY.bin from DIY EFI I found the data is being offset by a byte every so often. I suspect it has somthing to do with windows XP or the paralell port setting's. Might bite the bullet and buy a new programmer.
GONZO

Post by GONZO »

Can I suggest you try and burn a known good bin onto a new 27c256 eprom before you buy a new programmer.

If the eprom verifys to the bin you just burned I would expect it to be OK. I have had some troubles reading stock memcals too.
There were some which I couldnt even read.
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

yeah reading chips can be a pita sometimes ive had nothing but issues reading chips i killed 4 in the early years reading them and now i dont do it any more i dont even blank check just program and verify was sick of toasting eproms only takes one slightly bad connection on 1 pin while reading to stuff the read too just the same when programming too
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
vn5000

Post by vn5000 »

I bought a topwin 2004 from prime electronics on gold coast about 4 years ago and have never had a problem with it.Features :usb,checks pin connection,checks usb power ,havnt found a memory ic it wont burn,even checks cmos 74 series ic"s for correct operation.No jump pins either .Excellent bit of kit.
MOPAR
'62 XL Falcon

Re: eprom reading/writing problems

Post by MOPAR »

Today I tried reading the $5D AFTY Memcal the data doesn't look right in tunerpro. I programmed another 27c128 eprom with the read data & it works OK in the ECU ????

So in sort my programmer can copy an eprom OK but not program a known bin file.

Im thinking either the address lines or data lines on the programmer are crossed over. Now I just need to work out how to check this!