VY-VZ cluster with VE L98

EPROM EEPROM SRAM NVRAM Flash chips, reading/writing hardware and software
VL l98

VY-VZ cluster with VE L98

Post by VL l98 »

Hey guys I've got a vl commodore with a VE L98, I'm using the standard E38 computer. I was hoping to use a late model instrument cluster such as VX or VY-VZ cluster? I don't know much about programming EEPROM etc. Any help in this area would be awesome :punk:
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Re: VY-VZ cluster with VE L98

Post by VL400 »

I have used a VY cluster in my VL, but the PCM is not the same as your using. I would also think the dash will need to match the PCM or the data stream and hardware type will be wrong. The earlier models had a translation box (called a PIM) that allowed the OBD2 V8 PCMs to send data to the ALDL dash and other devices. The VZ used a PIM but i doubt the VE did.

If you do end up swapping the cluster get a VY S2 or later cluster to have the fuel gauge read the right way, mine was reading full with an empty tank and no amount of EEPROM byte fiddling would make the cluster happy. It should be possible to make an early dash work with a reversed fuel sender but its easier to source a cluster that suits the VLs fuel sender where it reads higher resistance as the fuel level drops and just adjust it slightly to suit.

The fuel level, speedo and tacho on pre VE cluster's are driven directly. Of the 4 dials its only the coolant temp that uses data from the PCM. There are heaps of other warning lights and info messages that the PCM controls, just depends if you want all of them.
ejukated

Post by ejukated »

You could use a VZ dash with a PIM and an E38 as they came from the factory. You may need to do some minor rewiring.
VL l98

Post by VL l98 »

thanx for the info! ill get some wiring diagrams and see how i go. ill give an update asap