Reading Kalmaker RT Board With Flash Tool

EPROM EEPROM SRAM NVRAM Flash chips, reading/writing hardware and software
Dylan
cars: VR Commodore V8

Reading Kalmaker RT Board With Flash Tool

Post by Dylan »

Hi guys, Recently purchased from VL400 an SXR emulator and USB interface for my VR Commodore fitted with a (now modified) 808 ecu.
In the near future i will be getting is RT board and re-tuning with $12P.

The previous tune was done on a dyno with Kalmaker Street Pro 2 software which i am unable to read as i have Street Pro 3.
So i fitted the kalmaker RT board to my now modified spare 808 and installed Flash Tool V1.4.2 in the hope of reading the BIN without purchasing a reader/ writer.

Firstly i installed the drivers from the FTDI site for my USB interface and it's now seen in Device Manager
devmgr1.JPG
devmgr1.JPG (36.69 KiB) Viewed 6505 times
Then i fitted the Kalmaker board and powered up the ecu. On power up (key on) the TX LED lights up red and stays on as long as is powered up by the ignition. While the Flash Tool is trying to connect the RX LED will flash Green in time with the log window.
This RT board was working before i tried all of this but in my Kalmaker ecu, which has 8192 Baud and an external serial connection.
I have not started the engine with the Kalmaker RT board in this ecu, or the Kalmaker ecu since trying this.

Then once trying to connect to the ecu with Flash Tool, i was not able to. I have atached screen shots of my settings and log.
I started with the default settings for VR In Car, then fiddled with the tick box's but no luck either.
settings1.JPG
settings1.JPG (51.27 KiB) Viewed 6505 times
results1.JPG
results1.JPG (43.08 KiB) Viewed 6505 times
Open to suggestions feedback or any help i'd like to get the bin out of this but not the end of the world as OSE 12P is coming once i order a RT board of VL400.

Hope this all makes sense, it's a bit of a ramble.

Thanks
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Re: Reading Kalmaker RT Board With Flash Tool

Post by VL400 »

Does the Tx LED stay on for approx 2 seconds after key off?

When the flashtool is trying to connect the first thing it does is try and talk to the BCM and disable chatter which looks to be working as its moved on to trying to find the ECU in your screen shot, this confirms the USB interface and drivers are ok.
Dylan

Post by Dylan »

Yes stays on for 2 seconds. I have a memcal that is a VN type if there's any tests I could do with it.
VL400

Post by VL400 »

A VN memcal will actually have the same symptoms, the Tx LED will always be lit. And will stay on for about 2 seconds after key off. This is due to not having any 8192 baud comms code in the bin and it does not setup the UART. The SP2 bin I tried earlier didnt leave the LED on though.

Check the soldering on the pin near the 808 and R1 text on the SXR board, if you have a multimeter measure its resistance to ground when the ECU is off.
Dylan

Post by Dylan »

I will check that thismorning. Just a thought I'm not sure how familiar you are with Kalmakers hardware but the RT board come with my Street Pro 3 package. Possibly some compatibility issues with the SP2 BIN?
Dylan

Post by Dylan »

I just done that ground test with ignition off but had to remove the Kalmaker board to get to pin.
Open circuit from that pin to ground. I'm an electrician I have a good Fluke brand meter but it's not an electronics quality one. It's says open circuit but it could just be very high resistance. I don't know what reading you're expecting.

Just to double check, I measured from the top of the SXR board to the underside of the 808 board and all pins are zero ohms.
Dylan

Post by Dylan »

Bit of an update guys. It took me all day but I found a VR manual chip that I knew I had somewhere!

When I powered up the ecu I notced the reg Tx light stayed off. Fired up the flash tool and it connected, asked if it was VS auto or manual (its VR manual if that matters) sucked BIN out. Yet to download xdf to look yet.

So looks like the problem lies with the Kalmaker real time board somewhere.
VL400

Post by VL400 »

Good to hear the ALDL side is now all confirmed to be working, just need to get that Kalmaker board re-programmed and you should be right to go again.