GQ-4x Programmer

EPROM EEPROM SRAM NVRAM Flash chips, reading/writing hardware and software
Jayme

Re: GQ-4x Programmer

Post by Jayme »

how long are you leaving it in the UV eraser for? what chip type have you set it to. what is the error message?
yoda69
cars: 2004 VYII Acclaim Wagon V6 Auto LPG/Petrol
2004 VYII Berlina sedan V6 Auto
2005 VZ Monaro CV8 manual

Post by yoda69 »

Never had a problem with mine.
I normally ID the chip, blank check, burn then verify.
If the chip doesn't ID properly I then check my adapter is properly seating in the ZIF socket.
damiandownie
cars: VT V6 S/C FMIC 17 pulley, 5 Speed Manual, kalmaker mafless, extractors, zorst, cammed.

Post by damiandownie »

yoda69 wrote:Never had a problem with mine.
I normally ID the chip, blank check, burn then verify.
If the chip doesn't ID properly I then check my adapter is properly seating in the ZIF socket.

Exactly what i do and havent had any problems yet
rangie 304

Post by rangie 304 »

My dyno tuner borrowed it the other day because his died and his spare burner wont do dallas chips . So he tried it and it worked on his dallas chip but wont burn holden chips it comes up with a buffer address error blah blah and stops . He doesnt know why it wont burn . Its leon from awesome auto in adelaide . Tried diff holden chips and the same result .
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

my TOP programmer is a little bit like that with 27c512 chips i use my old willem instead or you have to set programming time to slow so it bangs each byte in there for longer helps
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
Jayme

Post by Jayme »

ive got a gq-4x and it works fine for every holden chip ive ever tried in it... to help you out, we really need for you to talk us through every single step... I know you have said "its all fine" but we dont know what that means. start with the basics. which holden chip are you trying to burn... how long did you erase it for in the UV light. what chip setting have you chosen. what comes up when you click ID chip. does the blank test show blank. a common fault is the adapter used to plug the memcal in having a broken circuit. can also test every pin from the chip leg to the ZIF socket on the burner to make sure each connects.
The1

Post by The1 »

rangie 304 wrote:My dyno tuner borrowed it the other day because his died and his spare burner wont do dallas chips . So he tried it and it worked on his dallas chip but wont burn holden chips it comes up with a buffer address error blah blah and stops . He doesnt know why it wont burn . Its leon from awesome auto in adelaide . Tried diff holden chips and the same result .
Def sounds like it hasn't been erased fully, done 100's of holden chips through my GQ-4X, also try using ID function then set the chip type to the same, 1mbit ones are FM27C010 on mine.

Ive also had some stock chips now maybe because of the age of them now? Wont erase fully no matter how long you leave it in.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

yeah I've had similar, and perfectly fine working stock chip, screwed after erasing.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Yeah some odd there. I think Jayme might be on to something with the adaptor. Are you using an adaptor? Have you de-soldered or resoldered the chip on the memcal? Its possible you might have melted some interconnects inside the chip. When you say factory chip, do you mean the original chip in the memcal or aftermarket ebay chips? (many of those dont work). How many have you tried, and did they all get the same result? Have you tried burning on a different pc?
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
EagleMark
cars: 1994 Buick RoadMaster LT1
1972 IH 345 16197427 PCM Project
1990 Chevy 1227747 HighWay Lean Cruise

Post by EagleMark »

antus wrote:I had some problems with gq-4x and drivers last night, though i'd document it here to help people with similar problems who find this thread later on.

I plugged the gq-4x in to my win7 64bit laptop, and it threw an error about drivers. I was sure I had used the programmer on this machine before, but ok.. I downloaded the drivers and tried to update. Nothing I did seemed to work. I tried all USB ports. No good. Then following a hunch I swapped the USB cable over to one I had definitely used with the programmer before, and bingo it was detected and started up ok.

So it seems some of the cheaper usb a to usb b cables out there can not supply enough power to run the GQ-4x. This was not at all obvious because windows did see a device and the power lights on the GQ-4x were on. But if anyone who hits this and the drivers just dont work - its worth trying another usb cable.
Mine did the same thing with the white cable that came with the GQ-4x. Swapped to a known good black cable and worked fine.