Offsets when burning different EPROMS

EPROM EEPROM SRAM NVRAM Flash chips, reading/writing hardware and software
j_ds_au

Re: Offsets when burning different EPROMS

Post by j_ds_au »

vlad01 wrote:The higher the capacity the eprom the longer it takes to clear under UV as the cells have a physically smaller surface area for exposure.
No, I don't think so. The cells are smaller but they hold less charge. Only programming takes longer, because unlike erasure, it's done one byte at a time.

Joe.

PS. Double-checked the datasheets ...
The Intel 2716 datasheet says "The integrated dose (i.e. UV intensity x exposure time) for erasure should be a minimum of 15 Ws/cm2", while the SGS-Thomson 27512 datasheet says "The integrated dose (i.e. UV intensity x exposure time) for erasure should be a minimum of 15 W-sec/cm2". So 2kB to 64kB with identical erasure dosage.
heff0018
cars: CL valiant charger, VH valiant charger

Post by heff0018 »

I’m glad this post was revisited. I didn’t realise there was a problem with offsetting using the GQ-4X burner and no wonder we couldn’t get the burnt chip to work. I will try bin stacking once I get my Ute back running. Engines out while I am repainting the engine bay. Fiddly job that one.
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

I got the GQ-4X and have always offset, never stacked. Never had an issue.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Ive got a GQ-4X which must be nearly or about 10 years old now and it does or did have a problem with offsets. It might depend on firmware version or type of chip. I just dont do offset now because its so easy to fill out the chip space and mostly im writing 11P and 12P base tunes from the same images which are built to chip size anyway. YMMV.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396