What type of chip is this.

EPROM EEPROM SRAM NVRAM Flash chips, reading/writing hardware and software
Holden202T

Re: What type of chip is this.

Post by Holden202T »

i guess the test would be putting it onto a chip without any protection and see if it works.

the code may look for the security chip and if it doesn't find it then it will bomb out ....

so while it looks fine in tunerpro (and remember your only seeing the cal data) but the code that you don't see may be where your problems will lie.

so you might be able to edit it no problems but that code might only work with that security enabled memcal.
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

standard vp baap tune with bugger all changes :mrgreen:
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
vn5000
cars: vn v8 commodore

Post by vn5000 »

Bugger all changes aye ,i put a mild cam in my coomodore about 7 years ago (first of many) and didnt know how to mod chips back then ,so i rang chiptorque for a price and they said $300 for modified memcal and $125 an hour to tune on dyno.Couldnt afford it so i got on the net and found a forum on modding pulsar chips .Within a couple of weeks i was making my own custom chips for free. :punk: :driving:
I put the memcal ive got in the burner tonight and was able to program all bytes to a lower value ie from ff to 00 but not from 00 to ff ,pretty much the same as an eprom that hasnt been erased.If there was some way to erase all values to ff im sure i could program it .Maybe delco wizzard was right and its only one time progammable.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

I got my hands on a VT chiptorque chip, and it also looked like that one. It read fine when i plugged the whole memcal in to the willem and set it to 27c512. The chip was labled with the equivalent factory code, and differencing the contents with the factory bin I could see there was some changes, but not much. There doesnt appear to be much to them.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
vn5000

Post by vn5000 »

Yeah , must be pretty easy money .I wonder how custom tuned they really are. :comp:
Did you try programming the one you have.
Doctor Bob
cars: VN, VT

Post by Doctor Bob »

most CT memcals are like this, as i said the later ones have the 8 pin header on them to reprogram them, ill take some pics tomorrow & post them
the code is the same, i have seen some bullet memcals with a copyright notice in them that is checked in the reset vector of the code & they wont run if it is deleted, similar to the KAL setup
when people were using this type of protection it wasnt well known how to read them.
if you were to directly read the EEPROM it will not make sense.

it might be easy money now but in the early days there was no information in the public domain, it was all done by disassembling them individually, thats why the information was so jealously guarded.
you gotta look at it this way, most of you guys have only been into this for a couple of years, CT & Bullet etc. were doing it when the cars were new.

Rob
vn5000

Post by vn5000 »

Yeah it would have been a lot harder and time consuming back then without the software we have these days like tunerpro and vl400s flash tool and bins.
They probably were using hex editors back in those days.
Doctor Bob
cars: VN, VT

Post by Doctor Bob »

i still use hex editing for certain things now.lol...old habits ya know