What type of chip is this.

EPROM EEPROM SRAM NVRAM Flash chips, reading/writing hardware and software
vn5000
cars: vn v8 commodore

What type of chip is this.

Post by vn5000 »

Been going through some old memcals and found a chiptorque memcal for vn v8.I have never seen a chip like this before and was wondering if anyone has seen one and knows whether it can be reprogrammed like a eeprom.
Attachments
under side.JPG
under side.JPG (39.64 KiB) Viewed 6861 times
chip torque memcal for vn 5.0.JPG
chip torque memcal for vn 5.0.JPG (115.72 KiB) Viewed 6861 times
delcowizzid

Re: What type of chip is this.

Post by delcowizzid »

what does it say 27c512 on the top of it just push a memcal header in the memcal and slap it in the burner and read it off as a 27c128 may work quite well list the numbers off it
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
vn5000

Post by vn5000 »

If you put it in the burner and read it as a 512 it has a 128k bin on it which is a $fb mask.And yeah it says 27c512qc-45 and the brand is MY . I havnt ever tried to write to it as i didnt know what to set burner to and i didnt want to fry it. If no one knows what it is i might try it on 27c512 setting and see if it automatically erases itself before being written to.Also it has vpp 12.5 v written on main chip. :thumbup:
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

i dunno why you'd do it that way, maybe those chips are easier to get than the 28 pin eproms.

should be the same to access it though
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

could be one time program jobby hard one to find an online data sheet for

they use them to make it look like its got security i think to stop people coping them LOL
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
vn5000

Post by vn5000 »

As holden 202 said ,i dont know why they would go to all the effort .Especially for one time programmable.If you look at the underneath shot theres another ic under the board .Also i got this ecm from wreckers about 6 years ago and got a good supprise when i got home and saw memcal with chiptorque sticker on it,so its at least 7 years old and normal eproms were easily available.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

it could be a similar thing to the kalamker chip security board so you can't re-tune it without there hardware etc.

i am guessing by the fact its got no knock filter that its a v8 memcal ? have you compared to bin from it to anything else ?
vn5000

Post by vn5000 »

Yeah its for a vn v8 ,i cant see how its got any sort of security on it as i can read the bin file off it ,plus theres no obvious connection for the write pin from ecu ,so if it is reprogramable its not done by the aldl like Kalmaker so it must be done in a burner .Im not sure whether to try program it with 27sf512 settings or 27c512 .I was thinking maybe the ic on the underside controls the write process.I live on the gold coast not far from chiptorque workshop ,maybe i should go in and ask them. :lol:
Ill attach bin if anyone wants i look.I was using with mild cam and it went preety good.
Attachments
$FB BIN CHIP TORQUE.bin
(16 KiB) Downloaded 365 times
Doctor Bob
cars: VN, VT

Post by Doctor Bob »

The other IC on it is for security, if you remove the PLCC & read it the file will be all scrambled
Lachlan was really paranoid in those days.lol

A lot of those "protected" EEPROMS can be read that way...

i seriously doubt CT would give you any info on how to programm it, they norally have a connector on the circuit to connect their system to it

Rob
vn5000

Post by vn5000 »

So you saying youve seen one of these before Doctor Bob ?
What i dont get is that sticking some pins into the bottom of memcal and putting it straight in the burner , i can read the bin and its not all scrambled all the cal seems to be correct when you look at it with a $FB xdf.If they were to protect their bin wouldnt they protect it from being read and copied like i think kalmaker does.Other wise the protection is pretty much useless .