Does anybody know if Winbond chips are OK?

EPROM EEPROM SRAM NVRAM Flash chips, reading/writing hardware and software
Jayme

Re: Does anybody know if Winbond chips are OK?

Post by Jayme »

ohh man... remember the days in high school I was drooling over getting a tnt2 !@#!$!
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

lot of the card circa 95-00 have EEPROM 27c512 on them.

I used to have stacks of old PC hardware years ago with eeprom on them.

Only got some old early to mid 00s stuff laying around, most having flash chips which don't help much. But found a bag of of old 80s server CPUs and half a dozen 486 DX and DX2s lol. I think I was keeping them for the gold.

do you remember voodoo 2 banshee SLI cards? lol

My first serious card was an ATi radeon 9200SE. damn it sucked so I upgraded to a nVidia 6600GT a year later. Holy shit that was fast in the day :lol:
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Winbond are fine pending speed as said before. But if sst's suffer from dodgy clones i'd say winbond do to. Try and find legit sounding new old stock. Be wary of new from places like aliexpress... old motherboards more likely have eeproms (software updateable) than old gpus which might not have been. A lot of sellers offer 'old chip pulls' but they could be anything...?
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

What are those 28Cxxx... chips with 28 pins and same capacity? What does the 8 mean verse 7 in 27Cxxx?

I see a lot of NOS 28Cxxx chips on ebay of various sizes.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
The1

Post by The1 »

back in the day 27 was UV eraseable, 28 electronic erase and 29 was the same as 28 but supported writing to single blocks. I dont think any of it stuck though. Ive always used Winbond and SST. I always do read/write testing through batches to verify im getting the cycles it should, it's next to impossible to prove genuine from fake otherwise, even with a reputable supplier, just watch the FTDI debarkle for example.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

ok thanks, makes sense. Problem is finding fast enough ones. most chips are around 200ns.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

some info on fakes.

http://support.moates.net/fake-27sf512-chips/

looks like there are few sellers in the states that claim genuine and have 100% feedback. The prices are about $5 US each from most sellers. Pics of their chips line up with the above link and the china ones look different so obviously fake. Very hard to tell for certain though.
The1

Post by The1 »

that kinda works for the older ones, the newer MTP chips have small circles on the front and large ones on the back and also have non highlighted writing on the back. :lol: PIA

If you only need 1 or 2 chips i may have a couple of spare winbond 45ns ones here, id have to check parts bucket.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

apparently moates bought the last production run of the SST chips back in 09. if this is true, buying them from moates or their approved resellers ensures genuine chip.

One of the US sellers on ebay that claim genuine are listed by moates as their authorized resellers.

10 chips bulk pack for $40 US, its worth a shot I reckon. I can smash one open and compare under a microscope to some fake ones Antus has sent me to play around with.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

vlad01 wrote:I can smash one open and compare under a microscope to some fake ones Antus has sent me to play around with.
Just for the record, They were in the chip carrier I was posting the genuine winbonds you wanted in so I left them there (there was room), charged nothing for the 'bonus' chips, and advised you of what they were. I wasnt pulling a dodgy :lol:
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396