Possible to read tuned memcal with comms?

EPROM EEPROM SRAM NVRAM Flash chips, reading/writing hardware and software
john59903
cars: vn v6

Possible to read tuned memcal with comms?

Post by john59903 »

Hey guys,
Just had a thought, vn v6 with a tuned memcal to suit mods, have just bought an NVRAM and USB comms to start tuning myself and I was just wondering if it's possible to copy the tune from the memcal by leaving the memcal in it's socket and connecting the comms to a laptop? Or is it impossible to read a memcal without a reader? Hopefully to save some time tweaking a stock APNX .bin, don't have a Wideband as yet, but will be getting one ASAP, really just need to change the Injectors and tune for the change for now, because dyno man said it's leaning out pretty hard on stock injectors and I presume this is the cause of my detonation/head gasket failure issues, pretty new to all this so go easy ;)
Cheers guys
delcowizzid

Re: Possible to read tuned memcal with comms?

Post by delcowizzid »

If it's a modified vn tune you won't be able to read it vn code won't output high speed comms
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
john59903

Post by john59903 »

Cheers delco, that answers that question :) best off starting with a fresh APNX bin and changing it to suit my engine then. Compression is around 11:1 with a moderate cam will the factory bin allow it to run?
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

I'd say you need to drop a ton of timing off given APNX was pretty aggressive with timing. I think you'd be better using BLCD

you'd want to stay on 98 fuel all the time with 11:1 lol

Get a chip burner/reader and take a read of the modded memcal, with the correct DFX/ADX take a look at the ignition map and see what its like, copy if over into 12P.

I did this on a vr V8 with 11P. I copied over some of the spark from a reputable stock performance tune while I was at it doing the VATS.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
HQ355
cars: HQ Holden

Post by HQ355 »

I'd say cause of detonation and head gaskets is too much comp, why so much ? I your maxing out injectors you may as well go e-85, prob help with the detonation, maybe someone who uses it will be able to help you and give you better advice than me as I've never touched it
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

11:1 is stupidly high for cast iron engine.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
john59903

Post by john59903 »

It's a lot for a street car but it was fine for 2 years until I ran 100 shot of gas through it and pushed out one bank then a month or so later it blew between bores on the other side, lesson learned gas, big CR and unknown timing don't mix, although I put a fairly large fuel jet in to try and keep it safe but that only goes so far, pulled the OEM TTY head bolts out and they had stretched so far that they came out scarily easily, have since put ARP studs in just waiting for MLS gaskets to come in and it'll be back together, only ever sees 98 or 100 octane and 10% toluene when racing
v6bucket

Post by v6bucket »

Compression is Ok, but if your going to give it a spray, you need to drop timing out to below 30° total.
"Definition of a Drag Racer: A person who spends money he doesn't have on parts he doesn't need to impress people he doesn't know." - Grumpy Jenkins----- Poverty---
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

yeah pretty sure the nos manuals say 2 degrees retard for every 50hp shot .... can't remember .....

pretty easy to have the computer do it all for you if you run $12P, my brothers car is setup with dual maps, when the throttle is 100% and over 3000rpm the maps switch, knocking out timing and activating the gas at the same time, works really well, let off the throttle 1% and you feel a massive drop in HP :P

I would agree if you can, convert to E85, not that hard to do and will guarantee safety and like methanol, actually cools the inlet charge really well! my brothers car is running methanol and 13.5:1 comp and roughly a 120hp shot at the moment on a 202 motor, and its been nothing but reliable, we inject methanol with the gas through a fitting on the fuel rail and its so easy :)
john59903

Post by john59903 »

The moment that a servo close to me puts in an e85 pump I will be ditching the 24lb injectors and installing e85 compatible 42lbs or 60lbs and a 2L surge fed by a compatible intank and 044 out of the surge, best I can do for now is P100 :( closest E85 pump is an hour away and an hours drive to fill up a heap of jerry cans isn't really viable hahaha and a methanol daily sadly isn't really viable either :( I will eventually be running 125-150hp, at the moment I believe my issue is a shitty spark map and undersized injectors