writing issues to SST27SF010

EPROM EEPROM SRAM NVRAM Flash chips, reading/writing hardware and software
tris909
cars: VN s1 V6 Eaton m62 s/c

writing issues to SST27SF010

Post by tris909 »

hi all, I recently purchased a few SST27SF010 EEPROMs of Nigel on ebay. I am having issues writing to these EEPROMs, have erased and blank check all ok. I am writing 128kb files to EEPROM with both vehicles one being a vx sc and the other a vs auto v6.
I am using a gx4 burning with no offsets when writing.
any ideas? I have tried several times on each car with no luck. would love to know how to write to these correctly so I can get my NVRAM back which is in the vx sc to keep himn going.
thanks guys.
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Re: writing issues to SST27SF010

Post by immortality »

Are you selecting the correct device for the burner?

Have you tried identifying the device to see what the burner is seeing the chip as?

Which tuning files are you using?

If you are using the standard bin files have you changed the Checksum values?
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

I wish there was a guide on this topic :thumbup:

am watching with interest..
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

most of this kind of failure is a probelm with the bin files being burnt. most common one is downloading in tunerpro which does give you a good calibration area, but not the code needed to run the car, so even after a succesful burn of the file you'll get a no-start situation. If this is the case and the source is an nvram, carefully remove the nvram chip from the socket being careful not to short out or bend any nvram pins when you do so and read the tune with the GQ-4x. Then burn the resulting file to the SST. Shorting the pins can corrupt the data before you read it. Its worth making sure you have saved the calibration in tunerpro before attempting this so that if it does happen you can reflash a stock bin, put it in the car or on a bench setup and upload your calibration again so that your back to your starting point.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
tris909

Post by tris909 »

antus wrote:most of this kind of failure is a probelm with the bin files being burnt. most common one is downloading in tunerpro which does give you a good calibration area, but not the code needed to run the car, so even after a succesful burn of the file you'll get a no-start situation. If this is the case and the source is an nvram, carefully remove the nvram chip from the socket being careful not to short out or bend any nvram pins when you do so and read the tune with the GQ-4x. Then burn the resulting file to the SST.
I also tried that once with no luck but will try again as soon as I get near the NVRAM.
correct device is found and set in burner.
tris909

Post by tris909 »

immortality wrote:Are you selecting the correct device for the burner?

Have you tried identifying the device to see what the burner is seeing the chip as?

I have tried using the standard bin files, what checksum values do I need to change to say write the bin from TP to EEPROM?
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

tris909 wrote:

I have tried using the standard bin files, what checksum values do I need to change to say write the bin from TP to EEPROM?
When using the standard bin files you need to change the checksum value to AA.

If you are using any of the enhanced tunes this is taken care of automatically as The1 has added a new checksum value to solve the issue.
The1

Post by The1 »

in the GQ-4X Software make sure:

SST27SF010 Chip is selected.
Hit ID it should ID as a SST 27SF010, if it doesn't then you have a connection problem.
Drag and drop the bin file into the program and hit WRITE.
Once done your chip should be good to go.

If you want to check the file has burnt correctly i would not use the programs verify feature, i have found it to verify a write as good when infact it isn't. The only 100% way of verifying a chip is to read it back, save the bin, then compare against the one you burnt from with a program such as HXD http://mh-nexus.de/en/hxd/, drag and drop both BIN files into the program and hit CTRL + K and click ok, if it says they are both identical then your Write to the chip is verified 100% correct against your original.

Ive found with factory chips you get a bit flip now again, especially with the age now on the eproms it's hit and miss, they will verify ok on the burner but when reading and comparing the bins there may only be one byte error which gets missed by the burner software.
tris909

Post by tris909 »

immortality wrote:
tris909 wrote:

When using the standard bin files you need to change the checksum value to AA.

If you are using any of the enhanced tunes this is taken care of automatically as The1 has added a new checksum value to solve the issue.
Next silly question, as I do not have TP on the computer im in front of. where do I change this checksum value?
thanks for all the help and quick response guys :thumbup:
The1

Post by The1 »

what files are you writing? just the factory ones? If so grab the zip file from the enhanced forum for those models and burn the bin files from those as above, it will work out of the box.

http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=2518