EPROM L2732HS

EPROM EEPROM SRAM NVRAM Flash chips, reading/writing hardware and software
Dylan
cars: VR Commodore V8

Re: EPROM L2732HS

Post by Dylan »

Thanks mate. No idea on the speed. I would only be guessing but maybe not needing the quickest one this piece of equipment has lots of other boards to do processing.

So besides the speed would you assume it's an equivalent?
Say take a read off the current one abd then write to this one?
festy
cars: Alfa Romeos

Post by festy »

Dylan wrote:Well that looks impressive. I know very little about eproms.
Delcowizzid mentioned above about using a 27C128.
Would it be as easy as sitting that in the 24 pin socket and reading the old 24 pin and then writing that to the 28 pin?
You can't just stick a larger EPROM in a 24 pin socket, the pinouts are very different.
If you meant was it that simple using my adapter, yes you just burn the (stacked) bin to the 28 pin chip and plug the adapter board into the 24 pin socket.

Be careful with burning 27c32 EPROMs, they pre-date the JEDEC standards for programming voltages etc so some chips will need 12.5v, some will need 21v etc, and it's easy to get it wrong and kill them :(
Dylan

Post by Dylan »

Ok thanks for the advice. I have a GQ4X if that makes any difference?
It supports the TMS2732A but not as described on the eprom.
festy

Post by festy »

Reading them is fine, it's just the programming that can be a bit of a gamble.
If in doubt, start at the lowest programming voltage and work up from there until you get a successful burn (or a fried chip)
My old parallel port Willem burner lists generic 2732/27C32, and leaves the determining of VPP to the user :shock:
Dylan

Post by Dylan »

Ok thanks again. So thinking out loud here. Reading is VERY safe?
Then with writing. I could start at a low voltage and run it through my UV eraser after each try untill I fry one?
Then drop back to the last voltage. Or if the voltage is to low would the write fail? Or get a blank read after writing?
festy

Post by festy »

read should be safe.
For writing, the chip may have the programming voltage printed on it. I have a couple of 27C64s here with "PGM=12.5V" on them, no prizes for guessing what programming voltage they require :D
If you don't know the programming voltage, start at the lowest setting and try to burn it. If the VPP is set lower than the chip needs, the write/verify will fail so erase and try the next lowest programming voltage until you have a winner.
Or if you'd like to try my 28 pin adapter board, PM me your address and I'll send you one.
Dylan

Post by Dylan »

Thsnks for your time festy much appreciated. I will let you know what moves I end up making.
Thsnks j_ds_au for finding that equivalent eprom. Better result than I found.
j_ds_au

Post by j_ds_au »

Dylan wrote:Thanks mate. No idea on the speed. I would only be guessing but maybe not needing the quickest one this piece of equipment has lots of other boards to do processing.

So besides the speed would you assume it's an equivalent?
Say take a read off the current one abd then write to this one?
Yes, they are equivalent. They even have the same programming voltage, 21+/-0.5V.

If your programmer has an auto-detect (signature read) feature, disable it, this may involve unexpected voltages on one or more pins, that these devices don't support.

Joe.

PS. This lot claim to have 2732A-200 ceramic and 27C32-150 plastic (OTP) in stock :
http://www.futurlec.com.au/test13.jsp?c ... nu=ICEPROM
(Much cheaper, not sure what brand you'll get, so also not sure what programming voltage)
Last edited by j_ds_au on Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dylan

Post by Dylan »

Wuth turning this auto detect off. Is that when reading as well?
As my device does. It's a GQ4X.
j_ds_au

Post by j_ds_au »

Dylan wrote:Wuth turning this auto detect off. Is that when reading as well?
As my device does. It's a GQ4X.
Yeah, auto-detect places a high voltage on the A9 pin, that can damage these old parts.

Joe.