BOGSTOCK
cars: supercharged v6 hilux
buick v6 hiace
ecotec hiace
LS1 hiace

eprom programer and cable

Post by BOGSTOCK »

Hi Guys,
new here and new to memcal tuning/editing. I was given links here to purchase the uv eraser and eprom programer.
I have the programer, still waiting on the uv eraser. The programer came with the lpt cable but no usb adapter. What is the best adapter to get? Also with obd adapters i bought a vn to obd adapter and obd to usb adapter that worked well on a vn 5L using freescan.
However using the same obd to usb adapter on a vs/vr i couldnt get a connection using efi live. I haven't tried with any other scaning sofware and haven't tried with tunerpro rt. What cables are best for this? I'm guessing the vn to obd adapter I have will be ok but seeing the obd to usb didnt work with efilive I'm wondering if there is a different obd to usb adapter I need? My main focus atm is turning vats off and speedo pulse calculation adj for conversions. I now have some conversions I want to tune tho so thats also on the cards. Any help is appreciated thanks in advance.
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Re: eprom programer and cable

Post by immortality »

Which programmer did you get?

For VR onwards with the OBD plug we all use and recommend the cable supplied on this website (have a look in the 4 Sale section).

Unfortunately there are a lot of cheap copies out there on the web using inferior parts/components which tend to cause issues.
BOGSTOCK
buick v6 hiace
ecotec hiace
LS1 hiace

Post by BOGSTOCK »

I got the Sivani with willem software. I'm looking to see if I can get a PCMCIA Slot to put into my hp laptop and run a card to LPT adaptor. I've bought a 240/12v 2amp dc power source to power the programer, so ill check out the aldl and obd connectors on here. Thanks for the reply
tjwasiak
cars: '94 Opel Omega MV6
'98 Opel Omega Sport

Post by tjwasiak »

You need real hardware parallel (LPT) port for Willem programmers. If you will not be able to find/use PCMCIA card you can try to find docking station for your laptop (it depends mostly if you are using business or customer series one). Second issue you will face if you are running 64bit Windows (or any Windows 7/8/8.1 - I am not sure as I use only Windows 7 64 bit) is you will need some hackish driver to use Willem on LPT port (TVICPort and custom io.dll).

You should have got USB programmer - something like MCUmall True USB.
Dylan
cars: VR Commodore V8

Post by Dylan »

http://www.darkwire.com.au/html/gq-4x_u ... ammer.html

Based in Perth from memory. Next day express post. I used them for my burner and later on my eraser. Cant fault them at all.
Works on Windows 10 64 bit no problems.
BOGSTOCK
buick v6 hiace
ecotec hiace
LS1 hiace

Post by BOGSTOCK »

Ok thanks, I will check out the usb programer, thanks for the imput guys. I have tried to find a laptop with serial data and parallel ports but impossible nearly!.
tjwasiak
cars: '94 Opel Omega MV6
'98 Opel Omega Sport

Post by tjwasiak »

BOGSTOCK wrote:Ok thanks, I will check out the usb programer, thanks for the imput guys. I have tried to find a laptop with serial data and parallel ports but impossible nearly!.
I must disagree! All you need is IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T or X series 60/61 model with proper docking station - this is what I use for example. There are also newer business "grade" HP/Dell's equipped at least with serial port (Dell D630/D830/M2300/M4300/E5500/E5510 and at least some of HP 6910/6930 b/p if I remember correctly) - so you do not even need docking station. Also Dell XT/XT2 tablets does have serial port in docking station.