Need help for reading/writing my delco eprom

EPROM EEPROM SRAM NVRAM Flash chips, reading/writing hardware and software
delco_cng
cars: Ford Fiesta/Courier CNG

Need help for reading/writing my delco eprom

Post by delco_cng »

Hello all!

Introducing myself: I'm from germany and my car is a ford fiesta with a cng-system. This cng system consits of several parts, mostly from the GM concern. The ecu is from delco (i read it on one of the chips), and it seems to be similar to those of some Opel/GM models like Corsa, Vectra and Astra, also to the ecu from the lotus esprit (google told me). By googel, i've found this website, and i'm very hopeful that you can assist me with my problem:

I think my ecu is damaged. First, the cng system doesn't switch onto gas. I've checked the wiring loom and all sensors and actuators. All of them are ok. After opening the ecu, i noticed a lot of coroded electric contacts at the eprom. Now i want to read out my dataset and write it back to a new ecu which i will buy at the scrapyard. And for this i need your help, because i don't know which hardware i have to use, which software .

This is my ecu:

So long, thank you very much for your help!
Best regards,
daniel
delco_cng
cars: Ford Fiesta/Courier CNG

Re: Need help for reading/writing my delco eprom

Post by delco_cng »

no one here who can help me with this?
i've read a lot here in the forum and just downloaded the tunerpro v4 software...

but without your help i won't be able to get things working. please tell me which hardware i need and how i have to connet the ecu to my computer....
thy
Dec_head
cars: VR Calais

Post by Dec_head »

A willem eprom programmer can be used to read and write to the eprom a uv eraser to blank the new one this is one here http://www.sivava.com/
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

While reading and writing to the memcal is easy using the gear that dec_head mentioned, you are also going to need to develop an XDF for tunerpro. This allows for editing the tuneable parameters in the binary once you have read it. You are then going to have to develop an ADX for logging data from the ECM - the IC labelled 64606 is a 8192 baud ALDL chip.

The first step would be to read the memcal and then disassemble the binary.
Jayme

Post by Jayme »

if all you want to do is try another ecu, then you dont need to copy the chip at all, just unsolder the Eprom from the memcal (memcal is the brown plasic thing with the eprom on it) and put it onto a new one from the new ecu from the scrapyard. then you can have new ecu, new memcal and see if it solves the problem.

tunerpro is for if you want to try to tune the fuel and spark maps etc yourself, which by the sounds of your post, isnt really what you are after.
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

I really need to read things more carefully :lol:
Dec_head
cars: VR Calais

Post by Dec_head »

Looked like the memcal had been redone to me with that sticker and scribble on it i just assumed he wanted to copy it onto another one.
sabercatpuck
cars: 1999 Saturn SL1
2003 Monte Carlo

Post by sabercatpuck »

looks to me like the chips are already socketed, and judging by the post his biggest problem might be corrosion on the socket. If that is the case he may be able to just carefully pull the chips out (the smaller ones are likley PIC's of some sort) and use a small jewelers screwdriver to carefully clean off the contacts, and then mabie use a little electrical contact cleaner, though care should be taken with that as they are sometimes known to disintigrate plastic parts (I watched a guy have to reinstall terminals on a network patch pannel after spraying them all with some stuff called "big bath", a few minutes later they all crumbled in the sockets).
Doctor Bob
cars: VN, VT

Post by Doctor Bob »

Quite often factory small volume memcals have hand written labels
all the first run of VS SIII utes with the VT Type PCM have hand written labels.

before the production memcals were done for them

Rob