VK Calais with (soon) VR EFI 304

Re: FRAM NVRAM Board

Post by hoopstar »

Following :D
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

Ditto :thumbup:
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
jenko
cars: hilux v6
jaguar v12
mitsubishi lancer
fj cruiser
sv 21 camry wagon

Post by jenko »

Have been looking into the fm18w08
the 28 pin dip package has same pinouts voltage and temp specs as ds1245y however the read and write pins require high vs low to enable.
Hope I have this correct I am not an electronics expert :shock:
so are we talking an adapter board with a logic gate on it
which would probably package smaller than the ds1245y ?
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Im at the clipsal 500 this weekend so I likely wont have time to look at this for a bit, but there are some points:

1) be sure to compare the DS1245Y-75IND to get the industrial temperate and power spec ratings more suitable for automotive
2) if the write logic is inverted then yes it would need to be inverted on the pcb which shouldnt be hard
3) the current update path (unannounced until now) is courtesy of festy who has designed a lithium battery powered nvram module which is pin compatible with existing boards and is a drop in replacement. This has not yet been tested or built but is the current plan for when DS1245s go end of life or become prohibitively expensive.
dsfesty.png
dsfesty.png (28.57 KiB) Viewed 4919 times

4) we would need to consider how to populate it initially. We would need to check burner compatibility and the possibility of programming it as a DS1245Y after an ID check failure or mismatch.
5) it could be a good time to consider direct usb connectivity to the module to flash it from pc over usb but this is a lot more complex and therefor expensive and we may also run in to space problems. If the extra cost is more than a burner then it becomes questionable if its worth it. Also people with more than one board probably wouldnt want to pay extra for every board and would rather use the same burner they already have. Thoughts?
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
BennVenn
cars: R33 GTST, '60 Vw Bug, Express (4G63T), GW X200

Post by BennVenn »

I spent the morning (37deg!) at the wreckers to pull a few ECU's and memcals out of a couple of pulsars. Also got a complete sensor set and loom so I can bench it. Now, all they had were TBI but in the back of one of them were two extra ecu's from 1.8 port injection. I currently have the TBI in my beetle so all the hard work is done mechanically though I find it odd that the TBI is a low impedance injector while the Port injected are all high impedance. From an ECU viewpoint it wont make much difference as 1.8ohm TBI is more or less the same as 4 x 12ohm injectors paralleled. What does make a difference is driving the TBI injector with no current limiting. I've cooked an injector previously by doing just this. I'll pull the ECU's apart today and look at the injector drivers.

I'll be sure to source industrial/mil spec FRAM. I'll be adding a lot of supply decoupling and filtering.

The 18W08's control lines are all active low, which is common to all conventional SRAM/(E)EPROM/Flash etc... I don't see a problem here.

I'll either be adding a micro to flash the chip on board, or building a dedicated memcal dumper/flasher. I've already got these boards made up from another project, parts count to be around $9. I can easily integrate it but there is no need. You rarely need to re-write unless something goes terribly wrong. Plus I would like the ability to go to the wreckers and dump all the memcal's I can get my hands on, just out of curiosity.

All up parts price for both the memcal and flasher is under $20.

32k FRAM's are cheap, 64k/128k IC's don't follow the price trend so it looks like there will be more than 1 FRAM IC onboard unless people are happy paying a premium. There is more than enough real estate to house 128k+

And finally, I really REALLY like the dual battery backed SRAM board. These batteries reliably last 10yrs+ and having two means replacing without data loss. I have a few 8mbit SRAM IC's in tsop package on my desk, these cost about the same as a 128k FRAM IC. But you still have the battery as a point of failure.

One last thing, there is no air temp sensor on the TBI system. No plug in the Loom. Interesting!
jenko
cars: hilux v6
jaguar v12
mitsubishi lancer
fj cruiser
sv 21 camry wagon

Post by jenko »

The FM28V020 is supposed to be a sram drop in replacement .
specs here http://www.cypress.com/file/136591/download.
would that be more suitable
BennVenn

Post by BennVenn »

except that is a 2-3.3v part... Too much effort in level converters, bus multiplexers etc...

The drop-in side of things isn't too important if I'm getting a new set of boards made up. Now I have a memcal in my hand I can get the dual-row header pinout identified and start cading up the new board.

I read the netres was a laser cut resistor matrix. My memcals all have 14pin dip IC's - I'm guessing they're resistor packs? If this is common in other models, there is no need for a pass-through to the original memcal? Or is there knock filtering on these more advanced memcals?

On to the memcal dumper/flasher. I'll post up my 3 pulsar memcal bins soon, I have my VP ecu coming in the mail this week.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

All the netres specs are known and most bins are available too. Have a look at the FAQ (top right) im fairly sure there is a link to details there.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
BennVenn

Post by BennVenn »

Dumping those EPROM's had me scratching my head! Why would they make the lower 16kbytes high impedance on the bus?!?!? Unless A14 is an inverted CE line. I'll need to look into that a bit more. Edit: It's a 16k ROM! A14 is actually a /PGM line.

I've dumped all 3 memcals and there are differences between my dumps and those over in the 4cylinder dump page. Bytes 2,3,4 and 5 are different on my ROM's to those uploaded here, on all 3 ROM's. The remaining 16kbytes are identical. Repeated dumps show the same thing, over and over so I'm fairly confident it's not a hardware bug on my end. Again, I'll need to look into that more. Edit: Looking through the .ecu file, seems those values are the production sequence number.

Can someone point me to an XDF file for the $54 bins? Edit: Found it!

Next is building a board to house the FRAM and testing!
Dylan
cars: VR Commodore V8

Post by Dylan »

I'm of no help to you but I love your work and enthusiasm please keep it up.
All your questions can be answered on here. Please don't lose interest.