FRAM NVRAM Board

EPROM EEPROM SRAM NVRAM Flash chips, reading/writing hardware and software
Dylan
cars: VR Commodore V8

Re: FRAM NVRAM Board

Post by Dylan »

Jayme wrote:
BennVenn wrote:Is there a way to remove the EPROM without out causing a big mess? Or should I get the side cutters out? I'm assuming if they wave soldered them in there, the caddy should be temperature resistant enough to remove them? Edit: Preheat to 270 and lift it out, simple!

not sure how everyone else does it, but I pry the chip up at one end, which bends all the legs of the memcal frame up a little bit. use soldering iron to melt the solder and slide them all back down again. do the same at other end and repeat until the chip has worked its way right out. end result is neat eprom and neat memcal.
That's my method too
BennVenn
cars: R33 GTST, '60 Vw Bug, Express (4G63T), GW X200

Post by BennVenn »

antus wrote:11P is the same sort of thing, but supports for 4L60E electronic transmission so has a lot of trans stuff. The 128k uses bank switching in the CPU to swap between two upper 32k blocks while retaining common code and calibration in the low 32k (which is also where ram is mapped).

There is a reference angle which it sounds like you have found, but no ability to offset a single cylinder as the fuel and spark delivery is handled by an external chip without that feature. You would be better off making hardware changes if you can make it more normal.

It wouldnt be the first VW engine on delco, perhaps you could try and contact rock lobster for a tune to use as a better starting point http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3498
Bank switching, Is this done via latches on the memcal, internal the the EPROM or on the ECU Board? There is a cheap VR ECU available but not sure if it'll be worth the effort for running 11P.

Looks like he used the stock Pulsar memcal. He has gone with the port injection where mine is TBI. Good to know the stock ignition timing is OK, VE must be close too. Sounds like I'll throw those tables in, enable auto tune and take it for a drive!

As for Eng temp sensor location. Would it make more sense to mount it to the intake runner, rather than the head? The throttle body of a VW regularly ices up in cool weather even though the engine is up to temp. Watercooled motors (TBI) usually heat the throttle body and port injection don't have to deal with the issue at all.
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

unless its a jap car where they heat the TB on port injection for no reason lol.

For aircooled engine you want the temp sensor in the sump as oil temp is the most consistent and suitable range for the delco. Head temps get around 150-180 oC well beyond the range the delco and sensor can read and fluctuate a lot based on load. I know the oil temps are generally around 80-100C and depend on rpm more than anything.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
BennVenn

Post by BennVenn »

My RB25DET has a heated TB. I never understood why, the TB was engineered for this particular series of engines so there was never a chance it could be from an older TBI engine. It is the highest point of the cooling system and has an air bleed valve close by. Maybe thats why its there...

I'll plumb the sensor hard up against the sump. It is currently under one of the heads against the rocker cover so I guess it's getting an oil temp reading now. The rockers partially flood during operation but run a lot hotter than the bulk of the oil.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

There is a concept of 'charge temp' which is calculated from partly the coolant temp and partly the intake air temp. It adjusts the timing to prevent knock when the charge temp is high. There is a table for how much the balance is coolant and how much air to get the charge temp. However for that engine and without a lot of time invested your probably just better of not running extreme to the max timing where it is too much of an issue. You should still get good results with close to stock.

So if your going CLT in sump, then have MAT in the intake, and you have the option of charge temp bias should you find you need it.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
BennVenn

Post by BennVenn »

Damn this ecu is versatile!
Jayme

Post by Jayme »

also note charge temp is part of the fuelling calculation. when intake air is hotter, its injecting less fuel as the air is less dense.
slewinson
cars: Barina SB C14SE
Lexus RX350
VW Golf Mk5 TDI DSG

Post by slewinson »

vlad01 wrote:unless its a jap car where they heat the TB on port injection for no reason lol.

For aircooled engine you want the temp sensor in the sump as oil temp is the most consistent and suitable range for the delco. Head temps get around 150-180 oC well beyond the range the delco and sensor can read and fluctuate a lot based on load. I know the oil temps are generally around 80-100C and depend on rpm more than anything.
I disagree with your logic - cylinder head temperature will have the greatest impact on the inlet manifold, and thus charge temperature and it would be much better to use this with a sensor that is more suited to the temperature range. The oil temperature is more related to load over a much longer period and such will not allow the ECU to adjust the mixture to load changes.

Would be interesting to have an ECU set up with the oil temp and see what the short term fuel trims did.

Simon
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Im talking about CTS in the oil as coolant is generally stable as is oil in an AC engine. head temps vary by about 70c from minute to minute depending on driving conditions. Oil temps in AC engines as well as normal engines depends on RPM, temp goes up with RPM and is only mildly effected by head/cylinder temps.

For example. if you cruise at 3000rpm on 5% TPS your oil temps might be 90c if you were to drop a higher gear and hold 1800rpm on 15% TPS the oil be likely 70c despite higher load. it all comes down to hydrodynamic friction of he oil between bearing surfaces. This heat generated from mechanical losses. Overall the oil temps are a suitable range and more stable. Head temps will just fry the sensor as type 1 heads can see over 200c sometimes. normally they sit 180 ish on the highway
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
BennVenn

Post by BennVenn »

The oil in a VW cools the heads too, that is where the majority of the heat in the coil comes from, and the reason behind a rather large oil cooler with an enormous amount of forced air passing through it.

As there is no MAT in a TBI N13, that won't be an issue. I'm stripping down the loom to remove all the extra junk they decided to add into the loom. Wipers? Really?!

My logic behind placing the temp sensor in the intake runner is because there is around a 50cm track the air/fuel mix needs to travel and the temperature of this runner will determine how much is condensed on its surface and never makes it to the cylinder, therefore how much extra fueling you need to compensate. This kind of algorithm is called X-tau from memory. I had to implement a crude version of it in my own ecu build because fuel puddling and fouling was a problem without it.

This intake length is heated from exhaust gasses though the heating pipe is from one exhaust port to another, not exactly a high flow system. It takes quite a while for the runner to come up to temperature. Beetles just ran filthy rich all the time to compensate for puddling, flat spots etc... When I first fitted the wideband it was idling at 10.5 off choke. Stings the eyes...