FRAM NVRAM Board

EPROM EEPROM SRAM NVRAM Flash chips, reading/writing hardware and software
BennVenn
cars: R33 GTST, '60 Vw Bug, Express (4G63T), GW X200

Re: FRAM NVRAM Board

Post by BennVenn »

I'm not having much luck with this 12p binary. I've got it written to the 32k NVRAM IC, I have read it back a few times and 100% match. I have A14 going to where A14 would be on a 32K EPROM, assuming the 808 from a pulsar can actually run 32K this should be OK. Or is there a 16k variant of 12P?

All the plugins in Tuner Pro RT are installed, I can see Tuner PRO polling the MCU on the TX line but it does not respond. I have all Battery and Ignition wires connected to 12v and all GND's grounded to the supply. 5v is on the Memcal, no sensors are connected.

I'll drop the stock memcal in and try invoke diagnostics mode and see if we get any error codes (should be a lot of them with no sensors, right?)

Any Ideas?

Stock Memcal in: Error code 32 (or was it 23...)

12P in: 12, 22, 23 and repeats over and over. From this I take it the 12p code is running?

Interesting is that with the diag request line not connected, after a short time 12P starts pumping out what looks like data over the line. Is this normal?

Edit: A Dead ECU! Or at least the UART in the MCU. A new ECU and we're connected to RT
20160306_172601.jpg
Proof of concept, battery-less NVRAM. Running 12P
20160305_172031.jpg
My MEMCAL Reader/Writer
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Good to see you have it running. If vats not disabled it'll be asking the bcm to give ok for key has been seen.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Dazza92VP
cars: 92 VP V8 Wagon

Post by Dazza92VP »

looks awesome be good to have nvram/comms all tied into each other no separate boards definitely interested in this.
vlt304
cars: eh premier sedan v8 vl commodore

Post by vlt304 »

that looks awesome :thumbup:
BennVenn

Post by BennVenn »

Thanks everyone!

With the 64k/128k memcals, where exactly does A15/A16 go? It must be a different memcal to the 16k's im playing with?

Spent the last of the daylight hours yesterday turning down a N13 pulsar distributor to replace my VW dizzy. Should have that finished tonight and then I can wire in my new loom!

I'll need to read more about disabling vats and if I can use a single spark and fuel map to get started on tuning. The features in 12p are a little overwhelming!!! I've worked with a microtech lt8s and this 12p is so far ahead of it!

I have seen the FRAM ICs in DIP packages. This would make for a direct replacement of the stock EPROM with the exception of lifting 2 legs and re routing. Problem is, they are only available from dodgey chinese resellers and not via RS etc... I'll grab a few for testing. Ill set up a fatigue test circuit and pop it in the oven at 110deg and see what happens...
Last edited by BennVenn on Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dylan
cars: VR Commodore V8

Post by Dylan »

It can be overwhelming, have you looked at 11P? But really you'll only use 6 or 8 of them.
There's 2 good write up's done by Holden202T well worth a read.
BennVenn

Post by BennVenn »

I've just finished re-reading both the beginners and advanced guides. They seem pretty straight forward. It must have been the hundreds of input fields that startled me. I'll start transfering the injector tables and flow rate across, and the base timing. I'll set VE to 80 across the board and tune what I can with the wideband.

VW's have a quirk where cylinder #4 runs hot due to an oil cooler in it's airflow. The engineers got around this problem by making one of the 4 distributor cam lobes offset a few degrees. From what I've read about 12p there is no option to do this in software as there is no cam angle reference. There is no way to modify the pulsar pickup either. Is there a feature in 12p that could advance the spark a degree or two, every 4th spark, synced to an input?

Or I'll just relocate the oil cooler...

Are there any flags or settings I should disable/change from the 12p 1bar v6 tune? I'm thinking 2cyl mode, vats off? Edit: Found the Isuzu tune.

Oh, I haven't looked at 11p yet, will do now.
Jayme

Post by Jayme »

BennVenn wrote:Is there a way to remove the EPROM without out causing a big mess? Or should I get the side cutters out? I'm assuming if they wave soldered them in there, the caddy should be temperature resistant enough to remove them? Edit: Preheat to 270 and lift it out, simple!

not sure how everyone else does it, but I pry the chip up at one end, which bends all the legs of the memcal frame up a little bit. use soldering iron to melt the solder and slide them all back down again. do the same at other end and repeat until the chip has worked its way right out. end result is neat eprom and neat memcal.
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

I can do a video of that if people want?...
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

11P is the same sort of thing, but supports for 4L60E electronic transmission so has a lot of trans stuff. The 128k uses bank switching in the CPU to swap between two upper 32k blocks while retaining common code and calibration in the low 32k (which is also where ram is mapped).

There is a reference angle which it sounds like you have found, but no ability to offset a single cylinder as the fuel and spark delivery is handled by an external chip without that feature. You would be better off making hardware changes if you can make it more normal.

It wouldnt be the first VW engine on delco, perhaps you could try and contact rock lobster for a tune to use as a better starting point http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3498
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396