ls1 flash chip looking to buy

EPROM EEPROM SRAM NVRAM Flash chips, reading/writing hardware and software
Antwon
cars: vx ss. 80 series daily, vk ls1 (project)

Re: ls1 flash chip looking to buy

Post by Antwon »

argghhh.. ready to rip my hair out with this thing hhaha... problem after problem.. im starting to think it may be my programmer now
evilstuie
cars: 1985 Pontiac TransAM

Post by evilstuie »

Hey Antwon,
Did you end up sorting it out?
I'm about to buy a programmer and give this a go for 2 0411 PCMs I bricked trying to change the OS cal and curious if it can be done sucessfully before I shell out more cash for this DIY tuning disaster.
Antwon

Post by Antwon »

wat os cal you trying to do bud and yes It can be done I may have a bin you can load straight on to your pcm but more importantly what are you trying to achive?
evilstuie

Post by evilstuie »

I've got 2 VX commodore LS1 PCMs that are both bricked.
One had the 12211074 (?) OS and the other had a OS starting with 9, can't quite remember now.

I'm relatively happy with the 074 OS that was on the original, but I did an OS flash to change to another BIN I was sent to try and start my car. The motor is a 400SBC with 0411PCM conversion and it wasn't starting with the 074 cal with vats etc removed, it would crank and cough and splutter but no roar.
I tried to load his on with a full OS flash with Dimenteds Flash tool, but it bricked the PCM.
I went and bought another PCM with the weird cal and when I tried to put the 074 one on it bricked this one as well, despite following all dimented's instructions.

So now basically I just want to get both PCMs with a working flash on them, either 074 OS, the unified OS, although I don't have XDF's for that, or a MAFless OS if I can find one with an XDF to tune with.
I'm using the AVT-852 cable and TunerPro RT to edit the bins. Dimented's program works ok for cal flashes, just bricks with OS flashes.

I was going to buy the TL866A flash programmer and try and remove the chip, read the chip to see what happened(if I can figure that out) and then reflash and get someone to solder it back on for me.
Antwon

Post by Antwon »

are the bin files you used were they byte swapped by any chance?. best way is to open in a hex edit look at vin number at etha 0x4000 or 0x6000 lines if the file isn't byte swapped the vin will be complete if it has been swapped the vin will be jumbled up. but as for the other tool I can reali coment on it I havnt used it as yet. were u located I can unbrick the ecus for you and load the needed os to them
evilstuie

Post by evilstuie »

I'm in Brisbane, but I've already ordered the flash programmer, and looked at a few youtube videos on how to remove it, it seems a lot easier than I thought it would be using a heat gun and a solder paste, so I should be ok.
I've also got a 3rd PCM on its way to me, this one has a MAFless tune so I might even use that one when it gets here.
Antwon

Post by Antwon »

its not hard to do tbh.. just make sure u get the solder fully melted before you try to lift the chip or it will rip the pads from the board. and when you clean the pads don't swipe the solder wick across the pads it will pull them up just put some paste down and dab them wick and solder iron on them and move to the next one. and use pcb cleaner to clean the board and chip.. if you get stuck let me know ill try help you out were I can.