Identify Memcal

EPROM EEPROM SRAM NVRAM Flash chips, reading/writing hardware and software
v6bucket

Identify Memcal

Post by v6bucket »

I was helping a you bloke out at the 6 Banger Nats at the weekend, he wanted to lift the rpm limit on his VP V6, but I didn't have a burner with me, but did have a what we believe was a std Holden memcal in an ecu, flipped the memcal out & found sticker "Calmaster Engineering" 9046. tried it in the car & picked up a 10th sec, the one that came out of the VP had "Stage 3" something which must really mean stage 3 rubbish. I have only played around with 12P stuff, so is this bin a $5D or A$5? With $5D I get some bogus looking numbers, but the other looks kinda close. Would like to use 12P, it is a std V6 with a larger throttle body, can't remember if it was 80mm or 100mm, he's going to turbo this down the track at some stage.
calmaster engineering.bin
(16 KiB) Downloaded 313 times
"Definition of a Drag Racer: A person who spends money he doesn't have on parts he doesn't need to impress people he doesn't know." - Grumpy Jenkins----- Poverty---
VX L67 Getrag

Re: Identify Memcal

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

It looks to be $A5 vn v6 but doesn't really line up with the 3 known factory $A5 files.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

I reckon its a bad read. Every couple of rows there are a couple of rows that look duplicated. I think more than one of the address pins were not connected and data is missing/duplicated.

The bad rows are right through the file, but its obvious whats going at the end here in the duplicated row with the 67. Some of those rows of 00 would be bad too, but since its a block of 00s hexcmp hasnt picked up the change there.
Attachments
calmaster engineering bad read.png
calmaster engineering bad read.png (13.6 KiB) Viewed 6228 times
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
antus
Site Admin
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute

Post by antus »

Heres another one for illustration. Check out the bad rows in the top window, see how they are copys of rows nearby.
calmaster engineering bad read 2.png
calmaster engineering bad read 2.png (37.27 KiB) Viewed 6227 times
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

I had a dodgy EEPROM that always programmed x200 apart in duplicates. Looked much like this.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
antus
Site Admin
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute

Post by antus »

This is just a read problem though because it ran the car and that sure wouldnt! Address pin problems look like that, the spacing depends on which pins are shorted or no connection. Data pin problems affect every byte.

Sometimes too much heat soldering can break an interconnect in the chip and that makes it a bin job (not whats happened here but it looks the same).
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

yeah thats what I mean, it just looks similar. I had the problem writing not reading.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
v6bucket

Post by v6bucket »

Found a dry joint on my adapter. Does this look better.
calmaster engineering1.bin
(16 KiB) Downloaded 318 times
"Definition of a Drag Racer: A person who spends money he doesn't have on parts he doesn't need to impress people he doesn't know." - Grumpy Jenkins----- Poverty---
VX L67 Getrag

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

Certainly does it has 144 differences from the ASBY $A5 VN hsv file but for some strange reason the prom id & date code have been changed too, someone trying to hide what it's derivative is or possibly a different factory file not been seen before?