Encrypting a Flash Chip

EPROM EEPROM SRAM NVRAM Flash chips, reading/writing hardware and software
quadstar87

Encrypting a Flash Chip

Post by quadstar87 »

I working with a custom OS for an application that uses a 27SF512 with a leg spacing adapter. I'm no hardware expert though and want to design/price a leg spacer that has built in obfuscation to prevent a direct chip read and ALDL memory dump when in the vehicle.

Has anyone done this before? Hypertech did it back in the day on some of their chips for the hardware obfuscation but you could still ALDL dump them to get the actual .BIN contents. They made the leg spacing adapter a DIP to PLCC adapter to fit another logic chip and stored the obfuscated contents on a PLCC ROM chip.
The1

Re: Encrypting a Flash Chip

Post by The1 »

ChipTorque are well known for the hardware chip. For aldl don't include any ram or memory read modes just have standard table data request mode for logging output and perhaps a control mode if you want to make it scantool comparable for testing, the only issue is you will need to give software and OS to people to use to tune with then I'm guessing a scrambler tool to use on the OS before writing to the memcal, either way I'm sure with the raw OS available it will be reversed, the question I guess is what are your intentions and why the need to hide. Most places that are using this stuff is to hide the overpriced rubbish tunes.
quadstar87

Post by quadstar87 »

The1 wrote:ChipTorque are well known for the hardware chip. For aldl don't include any ram or memory read modes just have standard table data request mode for logging output and perhaps a control mode if you want to make it scantool comparable for testing, the only issue is you will need to give software and OS to people to use to tune with then I'm guessing a scrambler tool to use on the OS before writing to the memcal, either way I'm sure with the raw OS available it will be reversed, the question I guess is what are your intentions and why the need to hide. Most places that are using this stuff is to hide the overpriced rubbish tunes.
I got into this stuff due to all the rubbish tunes that made their way onto the particular platform over the years. I had some help to re-map a few things that change how fueling logic works and don't want it to just end up copied or deal with anyone blowing up $1000 injection pumps after they try to steal it and edit with the wrong definition files.

I'll remove the modes I think are for ram/memory reads and test it out. Wasn't sure if that's all there was to it or not.

Found a few vendors outside the states and need to check on their min order quantities.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Does this mean your closing up this project? viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4671#p65575 Or is this something else?
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
quadstar87

Post by quadstar87 »

antus wrote:Does this mean your closing up this project? viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4671#p65575 Or is this something else?
It's for the obd1 version of the same platform.

I removed the memory dump and read from address areas by creating a patch in TunerPro. Tested on vehicle with Ostrich 2.0 and no adverse effects so far. :driving:
The1

Post by The1 »

quadstar87 wrote:
The1 wrote:ChipTorque are well known for the hardware chip. For aldl don't include any ram or memory read modes just have standard table data request mode for logging output and perhaps a control mode if you want to make it scantool comparable for testing, the only issue is you will need to give software and OS to people to use to tune with then I'm guessing a scrambler tool to use on the OS before writing to the memcal, either way I'm sure with the raw OS available it will be reversed, the question I guess is what are your intentions and why the need to hide. Most places that are using this stuff is to hide the overpriced rubbish tunes.
I got into this stuff due to all the rubbish tunes that made their way onto the particular platform over the years. I had some help to re-map a few things that change how fueling logic works and don't want it to just end up copied or deal with anyone blowing up $1000 injection pumps after they try to steal it and edit with the wrong definition files.

I'll remove the modes I think are for ram/memory reads and test it out. Wasn't sure if that's all there was to it or not.

Found a few vendors outside the states and need to check on their min order quantities.
Yeh i faced the same problems with my enhanced mod, i bundle up the adx and xdf's with the bin file, if there not using the bundled one then there's no one else to blame. Yes it's hard to keep things fair.
quadstar87

Post by quadstar87 »

Ambient temps are down a good bit this week. I need to get the camera setup and take a video. Tunes are far from rubbish :turbo: :turbo: