cars: Ba Futura Wagon - Been turboed since 2009
3 x Celica GT4s 1 is a Group A
ST141 Corona - 3sgte swap is planned
EP71 Toyota Starlet Turbo S
A few e36 BMW's

New NVRAM setup

Post by SoullessShadow »

Hey all,

I'm sure this has been covered a million times and i have looked thru the forums for awhile but cant find the answer.

Basically ive been given a bunch of things you guys sell by a customer and asked to make it all work for them after they couldnt work it out.
Ive got my head around most things. Just wanting to clarify when a new NVRAM is bought what/if any software comes on it $12P $5D etc

I want to load the NVRAM with a .bin from his old eprom that has the tune on it. Is there a way to do this without having the actual car? is it as simple as placing the nvram into a burner (have a moates burn2) and loading the .bin onto it?

I have the 808 ecm with usb comms board installed and obviously the nvram.

Thanks in advance
delcowizzid

Re: New NVRAM setup

Post by delcowizzid »

If it's from here will be programmed with ose $12p if it was bough for an 808 or vr manual 082 ecu .you can't put $5D factory code on it and real-time tune it .
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Start on a pc, get the 5d file and a 5d xdf and copy fuel and spark tables, injector rate and what you expect to be changed in to a spread sheet. Get the 12p zip file and either drop the values you want to change straight in and or for ve and spatk tables use excel to generate averaged data to fill in the extra columns. Look out for the scale differences eg ve has 5 and 10kpa steps in 12p. Then confirm the rw jumper is set, connect to the car as is, upload the calibration. Thats your starting point. You'll need to read the guides about setting up oseplugin and using tunerpro but that should give you an idea.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
SoullessShadow
A few e36 BMW's

Post by SoullessShadow »

Thank you for the quick replies guys.

I havent got the .bin off the memcal that's in the car atm but the other memcals he has are all 12p.
So does that mean if I've done everything else properly I can plug it in and then just write the .cal section across live via the usb comms?
pman92
cars: HZ One Tonner
VE Ute

Post by pman92 »

As long as your uploading a $12p tune you can just upload the cal section with tuner pro over usb.

You can also get a standard $5D tune and load it into tunerpro with the $5D tune from his memcal, and use the tunerpro difference tool to see what has been changed from standard. Saves trying to guess what changes have been made
VR-VY Holden BCM Simulator: View Post
MrModule.com.au
antus
Site Admin
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute

Post by antus »

Just note 5D does not support high speed comms, so you'll need a chip reader to pull the old tune off it. Either with an adapter to plug the whole chip in the eprom programmer (recommended), or by removing the chip. Usually its easier to start again with 12p if you can identify the injectors and find their data.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
SoullessShadow
A few e36 BMW's

Post by SoullessShadow »

Thanks again for the replies guys.

I was able to get to the car tonight so could test some things.

I was able to get the .bin file off of the memcal that was in the car. It looks to be 12p aswell and is 64kb.
After that I plugged in the modded the 808 ecm and the car primed as it should.
I was able to connect to the ecm and see the live data engine temp etc.
I saved that .bin off the nvram
Then I loaded up the .bin I got from his old memcal and flashed it to the nvram. Then saved the .bin again after that I opened it to confirm it was the same as the one off his old memcal and it was. So I tried starting the car and it fired up and run as before. But the comms dropped out and since then I just get alot of data stream errors and cant see live data or make changes to tables etc
So I've obviously messed something up somewhere. Do you guys have any ideas on where to start?
antus
Site Admin
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute

Post by antus »

Is it one of our ALDL cables? A lot of people have been buying cheaper ones from ebay or another prominent seller which are cheaper because they are made from a diode and a resistor on a cheap usb interface and they are having a lot of problems. It sounds like it could be another one of those. Open it up and have a look inside and see if it looks like the one pictured here: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3616
j_ds_au

Post by j_ds_au »

Schulzy14 wrote:Thanks again for the replies guys.

I was able to get to the car tonight so could test some things.

I was able to get the .bin file off of the memcal that was in the car. It looks to be 12p aswell and is 64kb.
After that I plugged in the modded the 808 ecm and the car primed as it should.
I was able to connect to the ecm and see the live data engine temp etc.
I saved that .bin off the nvram
Then I loaded up the .bin I got from his old memcal and flashed it to the nvram. Then saved the .bin again after that I opened it to confirm it was the same as the one off his old memcal and it was. So I tried starting the car and it fired up and run as before. But the comms dropped out and since then I just get alot of data stream errors and cant see live data or make changes to tables etc
So I've obviously messed something up somewhere. Do you guys have any ideas on where to start?
I assume the old memcal has an original (or perhaps slightly patched) '808 OS? If so, loading this into the NVRAM would disable 8192 baud comm's and only function at 160 baud (via the CEL line). That would explain your symptoms.

Joe.
SoullessShadow
A few e36 BMW's

Post by SoullessShadow »

antus wrote:Is it one of our ALDL cables? A lot of people have been buying cheaper ones from ebay or another prominent seller which are cheaper because they are made from a diode and a resistor on a cheap usb interface and they are having a lot of problems. It sounds like it could be another one of those. Open it up and have a look inside and see if it looks like the one pictured here: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3616
I have the ECM comms board so I just have a normal usb cable so could it be that?

It come up as a ose $12p v1.1.1 in memcal ID tool but I'm not 100% what OS it is. But how would I go about checking that ?

Cheers :)