WOT

EPROM EEPROM SRAM NVRAM Flash chips, reading/writing hardware and software
Hayseed
cars: Commodore ecotec

WOT

Post by Hayseed »

Hi. First about me. Some 30+ years ago Speedway NZ developed a limited contact grade to allow demolition derby cars to race all season, stock standard. I raced for 10 years but left, being not allowed EFI engines. Rules have changed and now my son races a VT commodore. We bought an enhanced VATS out chip and research now has me at 65 with a uv light and a Willem reader writer. We race WOT from the drop of the flag at 2k rpm and reach 6k+ going into the corners of our oval dirt track. I am wanting to change the chip to lock out 3rd gear and maximise power at WOT. I will hopefully get there but the season is short and rather than re-invent the wheel am willing to ask direction in what/where to experiment or perhaps what is not relevant at WOT? Cheers, Malcolm from Motueka NZ
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Re: WOT

Post by immortality »

To keep it in 2nd when in drive you need to change all the shift tables and just increase the max speed for upshift speed higher than you will get too.

As for maximising power, I find these are tuned fairly rich from the factory so there may be a bit of power there by leaning it out but a little rich is safe so you could also try playing with the timing. Check out the power enrichment part of the tune (you will need the power enrichment spread sheet so make sense of how the various tables interact to set the target AFR).

If you are going to be burning a few tunes it might pay to pick up a new memcal with an eeprom so you can do away with the UV eraser (I believe there should be some for sale in the for sale section).
Hayseed
cars: Commodore ecotec

Post by Hayseed »

Thanks Imortality. Yep, I have soldered in a holder for eeproms on a spare "chip" and have a dozen spare to swap out with. I tried to do too many changes resulting in sulky starting. Definitely the way to go tho, just have write to several and document what is on each. Going forward, we hope to have a street car running and be able to test changes with that. It can be hard to grasp even the simplist things tho, like how to tick a box when erasing a chip haha... We are happy with fuel a bit rich, I will work on ignition timing.
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

I wouldn't bother changing anything other than stuff that directly effects you as there are hundreds of settings and most won't effect how it races.

It might pay to check out those power enrichment tables and spread sheet and see how it works. One of the tables is time based so the longer it's in power enrichment the richer the fuel trims get. With some settings it gets mega rich, sometimes into the 10:1 AFR areas which is ludicrous. I'd be looking to target 12.8:1 when going into power enrichment and then maybe enrich it a bit with time to 12.5-12.0:1 to keep it safe and keep the engine coolant temps in check.

What temp thermostat do you run? (This also effects power enrichment settings)

The ecotec motors don't need a lot of timing so it might only need a touch more.