OSE Enhanced Flash Tool question

EPROM EEPROM SRAM NVRAM Flash chips, reading/writing hardware and software
JohnDee68
cars: L36 Vx Series 2 8/2002 Acclaim Wagon 3.8L ECOTEC II.

OSE Enhanced Flash Tool question

Post by JohnDee68 »

Hi,
I ask this with the greatest respect to the developers and testers of this software.

I am not closed to the concept this issue might still be a user issue at my end.

Is the OSE Enhanced Flash Tool only programed to write to address's 2000 to BFFF and not to the lower range addresses of 0000 to 2000.

I am trying to duplicate a Commodore VX PCM 16269248 DMTY (via ALDL cable) and the lower range addresses aren't actually being copied over.

I have the following mapping locations set if that matters?
ROM Mapping:
Start: 00000
End: 1FFFF

CAL Mapping:
Start: 4000
End: 8FFF

RAM Mapping:
Start: 0
End: 08FF

EEPROM Mapping:
Start: 0000
End: 1FFF

Anything too large will not allow me to enter the addresses.

Any help appreciated. as i would like to write or flash the addresses from 0000 to 2000so it is a direct copy.

thanks.
delcowizzid

Re: OSE Enhanced Flash Tool question

Post by delcowizzid »

Read this post buy vl400 you don't need to be selecting memory locations and stuff
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=82&start=40#p6472
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

some of the lower addresses are ram and registers etc. if the presets are not wrying the area you are trying to copy, dont worry about it, its not a valid location.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
JohnDee68

Post by JohnDee68 »

Thank you delcowizzid and antus,
I have gone over those and many other references need merous times.

Antus, when you refer to the RAM area, is that not storage of some maybe critical data that is referred to by the PCM during running of the vehicle?

I guess without a full address mapping as to what each address location is used for it would be hard to know exactly and i am just guessing what it may refer to. Is there anything available that you might have gatherred in your earlier years of development which could help to or does define more what each address of the chip is used for? I presume it would only be known by the person who wrote the origional chip program for Holdens?

Your thoughts and shared knowledge is appreciated.
j_ds_au

Post by j_ds_au »

JohnDee68 wrote:when you refer to the RAM area, is that not storage of some maybe critical data that is referred to by the PCM during running of the vehicle?
From memory (pun intended), the RAM is powered down whenever the ignition is switched off, so nothing important is maintained there. That's the case with the VS, at least, so I expect likewise for the VX.

Joe.
antus
Site Admin
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute

Post by antus »

thats correct, and what you see in a bin on your computer, assuming the data was read out over ALDL is what happened to be in that part of ram at the exact moment that packet of data was read. ram data is changing all the time, and the fragments that end up in a bin can be considered junk for the purposes of a flash or clone.

it is possible to figure out what is what in ram with disassembly and following the code from the calibration area reads which are known from the XDFs, but it takes a lot of time and without a good reason isnt really worth doing. If you wanted one or two ram locations and you were developing some free and open code I could see what I could do. For making a clone its not required and thus not worth the time.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
JohnDee68

Post by JohnDee68 »

Thanks antus and j_ds_au,

I presume that a lot of the data likely outside the clone address's which isn't likely cloned over then could be things like the last few minutes of driving data also ?

I understand and appreciate the time consuming bit. I guess without access to a Tech2 or the developers of the actual software at the factory level, its near impossible to otherwise justifying doing it by reverse engineering.

antus, I would presume at this stage i am far from being experienced enough to help others in developments, though you never what the future holds. Are you able to confirm then that my address mapping for use in the OSE Flash software is correct for my Vx please, that is if you have any recall to the older PCM's?

ROM 00000 to 1FFFF / CAL 4000 to 8FFF / Ram 0 to 8FF / EEPROM 0000 to 1FFF

Appreciate everyone's feedback and time of course.
antus
Site Admin
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute

Post by antus »

rom starts too early, eeprom is totally wrong, from memory its at about e80 or there abouts for only few bytes. cal is a segment in thd rom. rom starts about 2000
JohnDee68

Post by JohnDee68 »

thanks antus,
I will see if i can try to work out the exact locations to set up the OSE mapping, i presume it can be critical?

if you or someone else recalls them, it would be appreciated for the assistance.
VX L67 Getrag

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

you dont need to adjust settings!!!!
They're automagically selected when you select flash pcm in the settings folder & will either do a full read with or without the ram(you choose when it's finishing up) or if you just do calibration read/write.